98RS SB202


Unofficial WWW Version

SB 202/FN (BR 412) - B. Bailey, W. Blevins, C. Borders, D. Boswell, T. Buford, L. Casebier, G. Freeman, P. Herron Jr, B. Jackson, G. Johnson, V. McGaha, B. Metcalf, V. Moore, G. Neal, K. Nelson, D. Nunnelley, J. Pendleton, A. Robinson, R. Sanders Jr, L. Saunders, R. Stivers, D. Williams

     AN ACT relating to postsecondary education and making an appropriation therefor.
     Amend KRS Chapter 164 to establish an Osteopathic Medicine Scholarship Program to provide tuition to eligible students studying osteopathic medicine and intending to practice in the Commonwealth; provide that the amount of the grant shall equal the difference between in-state tuition at the University of Kentucky Medical School and tuition charged at the osteopathic school of medicine the students attends; direct the program to be funded from coal severance tax revenues; create a new section of KRS Chapter 164 to establish criteria for state-funded scholarship awards.


     SCS/FN - Retain the original provisions and provide that a scholarship shall not be awarded or promissory note canceled until any financial obligations to the authority are satisfied; provide that a recipient's license shall be revoked for failure to meet repayment obligations; provide that 65% of the funding shall be transferred by August 1 of each year and the remaining 35% shall be transferred by December 31 of each year.
     SCA (1, B. Bailey) - Provide that no funds appropriated for student financial assistance shall be awarded if the institution does not have student grievance policies and awards at least as much student financial assistance to residents or nonresidents or reports the resident and nonresident financial assistance to the Higher Education Assistance Authority.

     Jan 23-introduced in Senate
     Jan 26-to Appropriations and Revenue (S)
     Feb 5-reported favorably, 1st reading, to Consent Calendar with Committee Substitute and Committee Amendment (1)
     Feb 6-2nd reading, to Rules
     Feb 10-posted for passage in the Consent Orders of the Day for February 11, 1998
     Feb 11-3rd reading, passed 38-0 with Committee Substitute and Committee Amendment (1)
     Feb 12-received in House
     Feb 17-to Education (H)
     Feb 23-posted in committee
     Mar 4-reported favorably, 1st reading, to Calendar
     Mar 5-2nd reading, to Rules
     Mar 6-recommitted to Appropriations and Revenue (H)
     Mar 12-reported favorably, to Rules
     Mar 13-posting waived
     Mar 19-posted for passage in the Regular Orders of the Day for March 20, 1998
     Mar 26-3rd reading, passed 93-0
     Mar 27-received in Senate; enrolled, signed by each presiding officer, delivered to Governor
     Apr 2-signed by Governor

Kentucky Legislature Home Page | Record Front Page