908 KAR 2:040. Hospital district assignments.
RELATES TO: KRS Chapter 202A, 210.300
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS Chapter 202A, 210.300, EO 2004-726
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: EO 2004-726, effective July 9, 2004, reorganized the Cabinet for Health Services and placed the Department for Mental Health and Mental Retardation within the cabinet. KRS 210.300 authorizes the secretary for the cabinet to designate hospital districts for the purpose of determining to which of the state institutions for the mentally ill the persons admitted from each county shall initially be sent. KRS Chapter 202A authorizes the transfer of a mentally defective or mentally ill inmate of any penal and correctional institution to the state hospital service designated by the secretary for that purpose.
Section 1. (1) The following state mental hospital districts are created. Except as otherwise provided herein, involuntarily and voluntarily hospitalized persons will be admitted to the state hospital serving the district in which they reside. In times of high patient count, state hospital directors may send patients to other state hospitals or to other hospitals in the district.
(2) District I: Western State Hospital, Hopkinsville, Kentucky, counties of: Allen, Ballard, Barren, Butler, Caldwell, Calloway, Carlisle, Christian, Crittenden, Daviess, Edmonson, Fulton, Graves, Hancock, Hart, Henderson, Hickman, Hopkins, Livingston, Logan, Lyon, McCracken, McLean, Marshall, Metcalfe, Monroe, Muhlenberg, Ohio, Simpson, Todd, Trigg, Union, Warren, and Webster.
(3) District II: Central State Hospital, Anchorage, Kentucky, counties of: Bullitt, Breckinridge, Grayson, Hardin, Henry, Jefferson, Larue, Marion, Meade, Nelson, Oldham, Shelby, Spencer, Trimble and Washington.
(4) District III: Eastern State Hospital, Lexington, Kentucky, counties of: Adair, Anderson, Bath, Boone, Bourbon, Boyd, Boyle, Bracken, Campbell, Carroll, Carter, Casey, Clark, Clinton, Cumberland, Elliott, Estill, Fayette, Fleming, Franklin, Gallatin, Garrard, Grant, Green, Greenup, Harrison, Jessamine, Kenton, Lawrence, Lewis, Lincoln, McCreary, Madison, Mason, Menifee, Mercer, Montgomery, Morgan, Nicholas, Owen, Pendleton, Powell, Pulaski, Robertson, Rowan, Russell, Scott, Taylor, Wayne, and Woodford.
(5) District IV: Appalachian Regional Healthcare Regional Medical Center, Hazard, Kentucky, counties of: Bell, Breathitt, Clay, Floyd, Harlan, Jackson, Johnson, Knott, Knox, Laurel, Lee, Leslie, Letcher, Magoffin, Martin, Owsley, Perry, Pike, Rockcastle, Whitley, and Wolfe.
Section 2. Inmates of state penal and correctional institutions transferred to the Cabinet for Human Resources shall be admitted to the Kentucky Correctional Psychiatric Center La Grange, Kentucky.
Section 3. (1) Individuals charged with a felony and requiring psychiatric evaluation or treatment or both shall be admitted upon court order to the Kentucky Correctional Psychiatric Center, La Grange, Kentucky.
(2) Individuals admitted upon court order to the Kentucky Correctional Psychiatric Center, La Grange, Kentucky, may be transferred to other state institutions for the mentally ill or to a psychiatric unit in a local general hospital.
(3) Prompt notification of the court is required by KRS Chapter 202A, and sending of appropriate papers to the hospital is required by KRS Chapter 202A.
Section 4. A person may be admitted to a hospital other than the one in the district of his residence upon verbal or written permission of the Commissioner of the Department for Mental Health and Mental Retardation Services or his authorized designee. If verbal, then written confirmation shall follow within five (5) working days of the admission.
Section 5. A person may be admitted to a psychiatric unit in a local general hospital if that unit has had prior approval of the Commissioner of the Department for Mental Health and Mental Retardation Services or his authorized designee. (Recodified from 902 KAR 6:040, 3-7-89; Am. 19 Ky.R. 2154; eff. 4-21-93.)