RELATES TO: KRS 227.480, 227.487, 227.491
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 227.480
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 227.480 requires the Department of Housing, Buildings and Construction to promulgate administrative regulations to describe the circumstances for which electrical inspections by a Kentucky certified electrical inspector are required for electrical construction, installations, or repairs of any electrical wiring. This administrative regulation establishes the requirements for electrical inspections of electrical construction, installations, and repairs.
Section 1. Inspections. The department or a certified electrical inspector having jurisdiction shall inspect electrical construction, installations, and repairs, for compliance with NFPA 70, the National Electric Code, as adopted and incorporated by reference in 815 KAR 7:120, Kentucky Building Code, 815 KAR 7:125, Kentucky Residential Code, and 815 KAR 10:060, Kentucky Standards of Safety.
Section 2. Mandatory Electrical Inspections. (1) The department or a certified electrical inspector having jurisdiction shall inspect electrical construction, installations, and repairs upon request by the permit holder or property owner.
(2) The permit holder or property owner shall be responsible for scheduling an appointment for inspection with the electrical inspection authority for the jurisdiction.
(3) Each mandatory electrical inspection shall be scheduled and completed within five (5) working days of the permit holder or property owner’s request for inspection.
(4) Rough-in inspections shall be conducted on all permitted electrical work prior to covering or concealment.
(5) If conditions require partial coverage of the permitted electrical work, permission shall be requested of and received from the electrical inspector prior to coverage or concealment.
(6) Covering an installation without final approval or permission of the electrical inspector shall result in the uncovering of the electrical work for inspection, unless determined unnecessary to confirm compliance with the National Electric Code.
(7) A final inspection shall be conducted by the electrical inspector after completion of the permitted electrical work and prior to occupancy.
Section 3. Permissive electrical inspections. (1) A temporary or partial final inspection may be conducted if:
(a) The temporary or partial final inspection will not prevent the remaining portion of the permitted work from being inspected; and
(b) The electrical installations subject to temporary or partial inspection are separate and distinguishable from installations remaining to be inspected.
(2) A voluntary inspection for any electrical installation, repair, or maintenance, not subject to mandatory requirements as set forth in Section 2 of this administrative regulation, may be requested and scheduled with the certified electrical inspector having jurisdiction.
Section 4. Exemptions from mandatory electrical inspections. Electrical inspections shall not be required for:
(1) Electrical work beyond the scope of the NFPA 70 National Electric Code incorporated by reference in 815 KAR 7:120 and 815 KAR 7:125;
(2) Electrical installations, repairs or maintenance within structures determined by the department as not meeting the definition of "building" under KRS 198B.010(4);
(3) Electrical work which is not subject to permitting requirements;
(4) Electrical wiring under the exclusive control of electric utilities, in accordance with KRS 227.460;
(5) Electrical wiring of a surface coal mine, an underground coal mine, or at a coal preparation plant; and
Section 5. Access. All access necessary for inspections shall be provided by the person obtaining the electrical permit or requesting the electrical inspection. (39 Ky.R. 363; 769; eff. 11-2-12.)