PUBLIC PROTECTION CABINET
Department of Housing, Buildings and Construction
Division of Plumbing
(As Amended at ARRS, January 13, 2015)
RELATES TO: KRS 198B.050, 318.010, 318.134
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 198B.050(2), (5), 318.130, 318.134(3)
FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 318.134(3) requires the department to
establish a reasonable schedule of fees and charges to be paid for plumbing
installation permits and the necessary inspections incident thereto. KRS
318.130 authorizes the department to promulgate a reasonable rule or
administrative regulation to administer the provisions of KRS Chapter 318[
318.010(4)(e) establishes the definition for "plumbing" medical gas
piping. KRS 318.134 requires that a person shall obtain a permit from the
department prior to the installation of plumbing and that the department shall
cause inspections as necessary]. This administrative regulation establishes
the requirements for medical gas piping installation.
Section 1. Definitions. (1) "Health care facility" means a hospital, nursing home, limited care facility, clinic, ambulatory care center, or office practice medical or dental office as defined in NFPA 99C.
(2) "Medical gas piping" means a permanent fixed piping system in a health care facility that is used to convey oxygen, nitrous oxide, nitrogen, carbon dioxide, helium, medical air, and mixtures of these gases from its source to the point of use. Medical gas piping includes the fixed piping associated with a medical, surgical, or gas scavenging vacuum system, as well as a bedside suction system.
(3) "NFPA" means the National Fire Protection Association.
Section 2. Standards and Procedures. (1) Installation standards. Except that Section 22.214.171.124.6, Branch Takeoffs, shall not be adopted nor enforced within the Commonwealth, a new medical gas piping installation or an addition to an existing medical gas piping system shall comply with the applicable provisions of NFPA 99C, Standard on Gas and Vacuum Systems, 2002 Edition.
(2) Permit required. A licensed master plumber shall make application for a permit to install medical gas piping prior to the installation. To obtain the permit, the master plumber shall:
Pay a fee of forty-five (45)[
thirty-five (35)] dollars base
permit for the medical gas system for each building;
Pay a fee of fifteen (15)[
five (5)] dollars per opening; and
(c) Identify the person who shall perform the installation. The person making the installation shall be a certified medical gas installer as required by NFPA 99C as well as a licensed master or journeyman plumber.
(3) Supervision by the master. It shall be the responsibility of the licensed master plumber to ensure that the person doing the installation:
(a) Is properly certified as required by NFPA 99C;
(b) Uses the proper products and stores them correctly; and
(c) Requests and receives all inspections at the initial pressure test for the complete system from a certified state plumbing inspector.
(4) Final approval. Upon completion of the installation, the master plumber shall furnish the Division of Plumbing with certification from the medical gas system verifier as required by NFPA 99C.
Section 3. Incorporation by Reference. (1) "NFPA 99C Standard on Gas and Vacuum Systems", 2002 Edition, National Fire Protection Association, is incorporated by reference.
This material may be inspected, copied, or obtained, subject to applicable
copyright law, at the Department of Housing, Buildings and Construction, 101
Sea Hero Road, Suite 100, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601-5412[
Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
(3) A copy may also be obtained by contacting the National Fire Protection Association, 1 Batterymarch Park, P.O. Box 9101, Quincy, Massachusetts 02269-9101.
AMBROSE WILSON IV, Commissioner
LARRY R. BOND, Acting Secretary
APPROVED BY AGENCY: October 10, 2014
FILED WITH LRC: October 14, 2014 at 10 a.m.
CONTACT PERSON: Michael T. Davis, General Counsel, Department of Housing, Buildings and Construction, 101 Sea Hero Road, Suite 100, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601-5412, phone 502-573-0365, ext. 144, fax 502-573-1057.