815 KAR 20:050. Installation permits.
RELATES TO: KRS 318.030, 318.134, 318.160, EO 2009-535
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 318.134(3), EO 2009-535
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 318.134(3) requires the office to establish a reasonable schedule of fees and charges to be paid for plumbing installation permits and the necessary inspections incident thereto. EO 2009-535, effective June 12, 2009, reorganized the Office of Housing, Buildings and Construction as the Department of Housing, Buildings and Construction, and established the commissioner, rather than executive director, as the head of the department. This administrative regulation establishes the fees and charges for plumbing installation permits in Kentucky.
Section 1. Issuance of Permits. (1) Permits to construct, install, or alter plumbing, sewerage, or drainage shall be issued only to licensed master plumbers except as provided by subsection (3) of this section.
(2) Journeyman plumbers shall not construct, install, or alter plumbing, sewerage, or drainage unless the work is performed under the supervision of a licensed master plumber.
(3) Permits to construct, install, or alter plumbing, sewerage, or drainage shall be issued to homeowners who desire to install plumbing in homes actually occupied by them or in a home to be constructed by them for their own personal residential use, if all the following requirements are met:
(a) Application is made for the permit prior to the beginning of the work;
(b) The homeowner files with the application an affidavit stating that the homeowner shall abide by the terms of this section;
(c) All work shall be performed in compliance with the state plumbing code;
(d) All the work shall be personally performed by the homeowner; and
(e) The homeowner shall not have obtained another homeowner permit for construction of a new home issued within the last five (5) years.
(4) A permit shall not be required for:
(a) The repairing of the following:
2. Cocks; or
3. Valves; or
(b) Cleaning out waste or sewer pipes.
Section 2. When a Permit is Required. A plumbing installation permit shall be required for the following:
(1) New plumbing installations;
(2) Existing plumbing installations if a fixture, soil, or waste opening or conductor is to be moved or relocated;
(3) Each individual unit of a multistory building if there is more than one (1) unit;
(4) Buildings which are considered separate if:
(a) The connection between them is not a necessary part of the structure of either building; or
(b) They are not under a continuous roof;
(5) A new house sewer or a house sewer that is to be replaced;
(6) A new water service or a water service that is to be replaced;
(7) The addition of a backflow prevention device to an existing water service;
(8) A new water heater installation or a water heater installation that is to be replaced; or
(9) Taking over a plumbing installation originally permitted to another master plumber or assuming responsibility to correct and test an installation made by someone else.
Section 3. Plumbing Installation Permit Fees. (1) The base fee for each plumbing installation permit for residential, one (1) and two (2) family units, shall be forty-five (45) dollars plus:
(a) Seven (7) dollars for each plumbing fixture or appliance or plumbing fixture opening or appliance opening left in the soil or waste pipe system including openings left for future fixtures or appliances;
(b) Seven (7) dollars for each domestic water heater; and
(c) Seven (7) dollars for each separately metered water and sewer service if more than one (1) water or sewer service is to be installed.
(2) The base fee for each plumbing installation permit for other than residential, one (1) and two (2) family units, shall be forty-five (45) dollars plus;
(a) Ten (10) dollars for each plumbing fixture or appliance or plumbing fixture opening or appliance opening left in the soil or waste pipe system including openings left for future fixtures or appliances;
(b) Ten (10) dollars for each domestic water heater;
(c) Ten (10) dollars for each conductor opening; and
(d) Ten (10) dollars for each separately metered water and sewer service if more than one (1) water or sewer service is to be installed.
(3) If only one (1) new domestic water heater is installed or replaced within a single building, the only fee for the plumbing installation permit shall be forty-five (45) dollars. Alternatively, if more than one (1) water heater is replaced within a building, a permit shall be issued under Sections 1 or 2 of this administrative regulation.
(4) If the application for permit does not include any new installation but is to make corrections to or to provide testing for an installation made by someone else, the permit fee shall be limited to the base fee of forty-five (45) dollars only.
Section 4. Inspection Fees. (1) All persons securing plumbing permits shall be entitled to five (5) plumbing inspections at no additional cost.
(2) All plumbing inspections in excess of five (5) shall be charged at the rate of fifty (50) dollars per inspection and shall be paid prior to the final inspection.
(3) Inspection fees shall not apply if the cost of the permit exceeds $200.
Section 5. Expiration of Permits. (1) Except as provided in subsection (2) of this section, all plumbing installations permits issued under this administrative regulation shall expire one (1) year after the date of issuance.
(2) If construction is begun within one (1) year after the date the permit is issued, the permit shall not expire until completion of the planned plumbing inspection.
Section 6. Plumbing Inspection Fees for Public Buildings. The schedule of fees for inspection of the construction, installation, or alteration of plumbing in public buildings shall be the same as specified in Section 4 of this administrative regulation. (Recodified from 401 KAR 1:030, 7-5-78; Am. 5 Ky.R. 160; eff. 10-4-78; 6 Ky.R. 696; 7 Ky.R. 220; eff. 10-1-80; 845; eff. 10-7-81; 9 Ky.R. 832; 1200; eff. 4-6-83; 13 Ky.R. 958; eff. 12-2-86; 17 Ky.R. 2880; eff. 5-3-91; 18 Ky.R. 1231; 1887; eff. 12-8-91; 19 Ky.R. 2335; eff. 6-7-93; 21 Ky.R. 1389; eff. 1-9-95; 27 Ky.R. 3376; eff. 8-15-2001; 32 Ky.R. 2362; 33 Ky.R. 404; eff. 9-1-2006; 36 Ky.R. 1134; 2067-M; eff. 6-4-2010.)