815 KAR 20:010. Definitions.


      RELATES TO: KRS Chapter 318

      STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 13A.120, 318.130

      NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: The office is directed by KRS 318.130 through the State Plumbing Code Committee to adopt and put into effect a State Plumbing Code. This administrative regulation relates to the definitions needed to interpret other sections of the subsequent administrative regulations or comprising the State Plumbing Code. This amendment creates an additional definition for use in the State Plumbing Code to clarify the type and size of rock to use for bedding under piping. It was approved by the Plumbing Code Committee and Board of Housing.


      Section 1. Definition of Terms. (1) "Administrative authority" means the Office of Housing, Buildings and Construction or any person or agency authorized by the office to administer and enforce the provisions of the state plumbing code.

      (2) "Air break (drainage system)" means a piping arrangement in which a drain from a fixture, appliance, or device discharges indirectly into another fixture, receptacle, or interceptor at a point below the flood level rim.

      (3) "Air gap (drainage system)" means the unobstructed vertical distance through the free atmosphere between the outlet of waste pipe and the flood level rim of the receptacle into which it is discharging.

      (4) "Air gap (water distribution system)" means the unobstructed vertical distance through the free atmosphere between the lowest opening from any pipe or faucet supplying water to a tank, plumbing fixture or other device and the flood level rim of the receptacle.

      (5) "Anchors" means "supports".

      (6) "Apprentice plumber" as defined in KRS 318.010(7).

      (7) "Approved" means accepted or acceptable under an applicable specification stated or cited in this code.

      (8) "Area drain" means a receptacle designed to collect surface or storm water from an open area.

      (9) "Aspirator" means a fitting or device supplied with water or other fluid under positive pressure which passes through an integral orifice or "constriction" causing a vacuum. Aspirators are often referred to as "suction" apparatus, and are similar in operation to an ejector.

      (10) "Autopsy table" means a fixture or table used for postmortem examination of a body.

      (11) "Backflow" means the flow of water or other liquids, mixtures, or substances into the distributing pipes of a potable supply of water from any source or sources other than its intended source. back siphonage is one type of backflow.

      (12) "Backflow connection" means any arrangement whereby backflow may occur (see cross connection).

      (13) "Backflow preventer" means a device or means to prevent backflow.

      (14) "Backflow preventer, reduced pressure zone type" means an assembly of differential valves and check valves including an automatically opened spillage port to the atmosphere.

      (15) "Back siphonage" means the flowing back of used, contaminated, or polluted water from a plumbing fixture or vessel or other sources into a potable water supply pipe due to a negative pressure in such pipe.

      (16)(a) "Basement" means the lowest level of a dwelling unit which is wholly or partly below the ground level in which the entrance and exit is made by use of a stairway or other mechanical means and which may or may not have an entrance and exit at the basement floor level.

      (b) "Basement floor drains" means a drain placed in the basement floor of a residence which may or may not receive sanitary waste water.

      (17) "Battery of fixtures" means any group of two (2) or more similar adjacent fixtures which discharge into a common horizontal waste or soil branch.

      (18) "Bedpan hopper" means "clinical sink".

      (19) "Bedpan steamer or boiler" means a fixture used for scalding bedpans or urinals by direct application of steam of boiling water.

      (20) "Bedpan unit" means a small workroom in the nursing area designed and equipped for emptying, cleaning, and sometimes for steaming bedpans, and for no other purposes.

      (21) "Bedpan washer and sterilizer" means a fixture designed to wash bedpans and to flush the contents into the sanitary drainage system. It may also provide for disinfecting utensils by scalding with steam or hot water.

      (22) "Bedpan washer hose" means a device supplied with hot and cold water and located adjacent to a water closet or clinical sink to be used for cleaning bedpans.

      (23) "Boiler blow-off" means an outlet on a boiler to permit emptying or discharge of sediment.

      (24) "Boiler blow-off tank" means a vessel designed to receive the discharge from a boiler blow-off outlet and to cool the discharge to a temperature which permits its safe discharge to the drainage system.

      (25) "Branch" means that part of the piping system which extends horizontally, at a slight grade, with or without lateral or vertical extensions or vertical arms, from the main to receive fixture outlets not directly connected to the main.

      (26) "Branch, fixture" means "fixture branch".

      (27) "Branch interval" means a distance along a soil or waste stack corresponding in general to a story height, but in no case less than eight (8) feet, within which the horizontal branches from one (1) floor or story of a building are connected to the stack.

      (28) "Branch vent" means a vent connecting one (1) or more individual vents with a vent stack or stack vent.

      (29) "Building" means a structure having walls and a roof designed and used for the housing, shelter, enclosure, or support of persons, animals or property.

      (30) "Building classification" means the arrangement of buildings in classes according to occupancy.

      (31) "Building drain" means that part of the lowest piping of a drainage system which receives the discharge from soil, waste, and other drainage pipes inside the walls of the building and conveys it to the building sewer beginning two (2) feet outside the building wall.

      (32) "Building drain; combined" means a building drain which conveys both sewage and storm water or other drainage.

      (33) "Building drain; sanitary" means a building drain which conveys sewage only.

      (34) "Building drain; storm" means a building drain which conveys storm water or other drainage but not sewage.

      (35) "Building gravity drainage system" means a drainage system which drains by gravity into the building sewer.

      (36) "Building sewer" means that part of the drainage system which extends from the end of the building drain and conveys its discharge to a public sewer, private sewer, individual sewage-disposal system, or other point of disposal.

      (37) "Building sewer; combined" means a building sewer which conveys both sewage and storm water or other drainage.

      (38) "Building sewer; sanitary" means a building sewer which conveys sewage only.

      (39) "Building sewer; storm" means a building sewer which conveys storm water or other drainage but no sewage.

      (40) "Building subdrain" means that portion of a drainage system which does not drain by gravity into the building sewer.

      (41) "Cesspools" means a lined and covered excavation in the ground which receives a discharge of domestic sewage or other organic wastes from a drainage system, so designed as to retain the organic matter and solids, but permitting the liquids to seep through the bottom and sides.

      (42) "Circuit vent" means a branch vent that serves two (2) or more traps and extends from the downstream side of the highest fixture connection of a horizontal branch to the vent stack.

      (43) "Clinical sink (bedpan hopper)" means a fixture for the rinsing of bedpans and soiled linens. Such fixture shall have a trap size on not less than three (3) inches.

      (44) "Code" as defined in KRS 318.010(11).

      (45) "Combination fixture" means a fixture combining one (1) sink and laundry tray or a two (2) or three (3) compartment sink or laundry tray in one (1) unit.

      (46) "Combined building drain" means "building drain; combined".

      (47) "Combined building sewer" means "building sewer; combined".

      (48) "Combination waste and vent system" means a specially designed system of waste piping embodying the horizontal wet venting of one (1) or more sinks or floor drains by means of a common waste and vent pipe adequately sized to provide free movement of air above the free water surface in the drain.

      (49) "Common vent" means a vent connecting at the junction of two (2) fixture drains and serving as a vent for both fixture drains.

      (50) "Conductor" means a pipe inside the building which conveys storm water from the roof to a storm or combined building drain.

      (51) "Continuous vent" means a vertical vent that is a continuation of the drain to which it connects.

      (52) "Continuous waste" means a drain from two (2) or more fixtures connected to a single trap.

      (53) "Cross connection" means any physical connection or arrangement between two (2) otherwise separate piping systems, one (1) of which contains potable water and the other either water of unknown or questionable safety or steam, gas, or chemical whereby there may be a flow from one (1) system to the other, the direction of flow depending on the pressure differential between the two (2) systems. (See backflow and back siphonage.)

      (54) "Dead end" means a branch leading from a soil, waste or vent pipe, building drain, or building sewer, and terminating at a developed length of two (2) feet or more by means of a plug, cap, or other closed fitting.

      (55) "Developed length" means the length of a pipe line measured along the center line of the pipe and fittings.

      (56) "Diameter" means the nominal diameter as designated commercially.

      (57) "Domestic sewage" means the waterborne wastes derived from ordinary living processes.

      (58) "Double offset" means two (2) changes of direction installed in succession or series in a continuous pipe.

      (59) "Downspout" means "leader".

      (60) "Drain" means any pipe which carries waste water or waterborne wastes in a building drainage system.

      (61) "Drainage pipe" means "drainage system".

      (62) "Drainage system" means includes all the piping, within public or private premises, which conveys sewage, rain water, or other liquid wastes to a point of disposal. It does not include the mains of a public sewer system or private or public sewage-treatment or disposal plant. Neither does this apply to plumbing appliances.

      (63) "Drainage system (building gravity)" means a drainage system which drains by gravity into the building sewer.

      (64) "Drainage system (subbuilding)" means "building subdrain".

      (65) "Dry well" means "leaching well".

      (66) "Dual vent" means "common vent".

      (67) "Durham system" means a term used to describe soil or waste systems where all piping is of threaded pipe, tube, or other such rigid construction, using recessed drainage fittings to correspond to the types of piping.

      (68) "Dwelling unit" means one (1) or more rooms with provision for living, sanitary and sleeping facilities arranged for the use of one (1) family or individual.

      (69) "DWV" means an abbreviated term for drain, waste and vent piping as used in common plumbing practice.

      (70) "Effective opening" means the minimum cross-sectional area at the point of water supply discharge, measured or expressed in terms of (i) diameter of a circle, or (ii) if the opening is not circular, the diameter of a circle of equivalent cross-sectional area.

      (71) "Ejector" means "aspirator".

      (72) "Existing work" means a plumbing system or any part thereof installed prior to the effective date of this code.

      (73) "Farm" as associated with farmstead which is defined in KRS 318.010(8) means property that shall have a bona fide agricultural or horticultural use as defined by KRS 132.010(9) and (10) and qualified by and registered with the PVA in that county.

      (74) "Fire line" means a system of pipes and equipment used exclusively to supply water for extinguishing fires.

      (75) "Fixture" means "plumbing fixture".

      (76) "Fixture branch" means the piping distance between a soil, waste and vent stack and the fixture trap.

      (77) "Fixture drain" means the drain from the trap of a fixture to the junction of that drain with any other drain pipe.

      (78) "Fixture supply" means the water supply pipe connecting a fixture to a branch water supply pipe or directly to a main water supply pipe.

      (79) "Fixture unit, drainage (d.f.u.)" means a measure of the probable discharge into the drainage system by various types of plumbing fixtures. The drainage fixture-unit valve for a particular fixture depends on its volume rate of drainage discharge, on the time duration of a single drainage operation, and on the average time between successive operations. (Note: In general, on small systems, one (1) drainage fixture unit approximates one (1) cubic foot per minute.)

      (80) "Fixture unit, supply (s.f.u.)" means a measure of the probable hydraulic demand on the water supply by various types of plumbing fixtures. The supply fixture-unit valve for a particular fixture depends on its volume rate of supply, on the time duration of a single supply operation, and on the average time between successive operations.

      (81) "Flood level" means "flood level rim".

      (82) "Flood level rim" means the edge of the receptacle from which water overflows.

      (83) "Flooded" means the condition which results when the liquid in a container or receptacle rises to the flood-level rim.

      (84) "Floor drain" means a drain placed in the floor of a building for the purpose of receiving sanitary waste water.

      (85) "Floor pantry" means a workroom in the nursing area designed and equipped to prepare supplemental diets or beverages, and to assemble food trays at meal times if used in conjunction with decentralized food service.

      (86) "Flow pressure" means the pressure in the water supply pipe near the faucet or water outlet while the faucet or water outlet is wide-open and flowing.

      (87) "Flush valve" means a device located at the bottom of a tank for slushing water closets and similar fixtures.

      (88) "Flushing type floor drain" means a drain which is equipped with an integral water supply enabling flushing of the drain receptor and trap.

      (89) "Flushometer valve" means a device which discharges a predetermined quantity of water to fixtures for flushing purposes and is closed by direct water pressure.

      (90) "Frost-proof closet" means a hopper with no water in the bowl and with the trap and water supply control valve located below frost line.

      (91) "Grade" means the fall (slope) of a line of pipe in reference to a horizontal plane. In drainage it is usually expressed as the fall in a fraction of an inch per foot length of pipe.

      (92) "Grease interceptor" means "interceptor".

      (93) "Grease trap" means "interceptor".

      (94) "Grillage" means sand, pea gravel or limestone rock sizes #57 and smaller as defined by Kentucky Department of Highways and used for bedding for piping systems.

      (95) "Hangers" means "supports".

      (96) "Horizontal branch drain" means a drain branch pipe extending laterally from a soil or waste stack or building drain, with or without vertical sections or branches, which receives the discharge from one (1) or more fixture drains and conducts it to the soil or waste stack or to the building drain.

      (97) "Horizontal pipe" means any pipe or fitting which makes an angle of less than forty-five (45) degrees with the horizontal.

      (98) "Hose bibb" means a sill cock, wall hydrant, or similar faucet with a downward angled threaded nozzle.

      (99) "Hot water" means water at a temperature of not less than 120 degrees Fahrenheit.

      (100) "House drain" means "building drain".

      (101) "House sewer" means "building sewer".

      (102) "Indirect waste pipe" means a waste pipe not directly connected with the drainage system, but which discharges into the drainage system through an air break or air gap into a trap, fixture, receptor or interceptor.

      (103) "Individual sewage disposal system" means a system for disposal of domestic sewage by means of a septic tank, cesspool or mechanical treatment, designed for use apart from a public sewer to serve a single establishment or building.

      (104) "Individual vent" means a pipe installed to vent a fixture drain. It connects with the vent system above the fixture served or terminates outside the building into the open air.

      (105) "Individual water supply" means a supply other than an approved public water supply which serves one (1) or more families.

      (106) "Industrial floor drain" means a drain placed in the floor of a building other than in a toilet room or shower room to receive waste water.

      (107) "Industrial wastes" means liquid wastes resulting from the processes employed in industrial and commercial establishments.

      (108) "Insanitary" means contrary to sanitary principles; injurious to health.

      (109) "Interceptor" means a device designed and installed so as to separate and retain deleterious, hazardous, or undesirable matter from normal wastes while permitting normal sewage or liquid wastes to discharge into the drainage system by gravity.

      (110) "Installed" means altered, changed or a new installation.

      (111) "Invert" means the lowest portion of the inside of any horizontal pipe.

      (112) "Kitchen sink unit" means a sink, double or single compartment, food waste disposer, and dishwasher placed in a unit so arranged that the dishwasher abuts the sink.

      (113) "Lavatory" means a hand basin such as in a bathroom.

      (114) "Leaching well or pit" means a pit or receptacle having porous walls which permit the contents to seep into the ground.

      (115) "Leader" means an exterior drainage pipe for conveying storm water from roof or gutter drains.

      (116) "Liquid waste" means the discharge from any fixture, appliance, area or appurtenance, which does not contain fecal matter.

      (117) "Load factor" means the percentage of the total connected fixture unit flow which is likely to occur at any point in the drainage system.

      (118) "Local vent stack" means a vertical pipe to which connections are made from the fixture side of traps and through which vapor and foul air may be removed from the fixture or device used on bedpan washers.

      (119) "Local ventilating pipe" means a pipe through which foul air is removed from a room or fixture.

      (120) "Loop vent" means a circuit vent which loops back to connect with a stack vent instead of a vent stack.

      (121) "Main" means the horizontal, vertical and continuous piping which receives the waste, soil, main or individual vents from fixture outlets, or traps, directly or through branch pipes.

      (122) "Main sewer" means "public sewer".

      (123) "Main vent" means the principal artery of the venting system to which vent branches may be connected. (Manufacturer's Floor Drain. See industrial floor drain.)

      (124) "Multiple dwelling" means a building containing more than two (2) dwelling units.

      (125) "Nominal pipe size" means a standard expression in inches and fractions thereof to designate the approximate inside diameter of a pipe, conduit or tube.

      (126) "Nonpotable water" means water not safe for drinking, personal or culinary use.

      (127) "Nuisance" means dangerous to human life or detrimental to health; whatever building, structure, or premise is not sufficiently ventilated, sewered, drained, cleaned or lighted, in reference to its intended or actual use; and whatever renders the air or human food or drink or water supply unwholesome.

      (128) "Nurses' station" means an area in the nursing unit separated from the corridor by counter or desk, designed to permit nurses to record and file each patient's history and progress, observation and control of corridor, preparation of medicines and maintain contact with patients, the hospital and the outside by local and public means of communication.

      (129) "Offset" means a combination of elbows or bends which bring one (1) section of the pipe out of line but into a line parallel with the other section.

      (130) "Oil interceptor" means "interceptor".

      (131) "Person" as defined in KRS 318.010(9).

      (132) "Pitch" means "grade".

      (133) "Plumber's apprentice" means any person other than a journeyman or master plumber, who, as his principal occupation, is engaged in working as an employee of a master plumber under the immediate and personal supervision of either a master or journeyman plumber in learning and assisting in the installation of plumbing.

      (134) "Plumbing" as defined in KRS 318.010(4).

      (135) "Plumbing appliance" means any one (1) of a special class of plumbing fixture which is intended to perform a special function. Its operation and control may be dependent upon one (1) or more energized components, such as motors, controls, heating elements, or pressure or temperature-sensing elements. Such fixtures may operate automatically through one (1) or more of the following actions: a time cycle, a temperature range, a pressure range, a measured volume or weight; or the fixture may be manually adjusted or controlled by the user or operator.

      (136) "Plumbing appurtenance" means a manufactured device, or a prefabricated assembly of component parts, and which is an adjunct to the basic piping system and plumbing fixtures. An appurtenance demands no additional water supply, nor does it add any discharge load to a fixture or the drainage system. It is presumed that it performs some useful function in the operation, maintenance, servicing, economy, or safety of the plumbing system.

      (137) "Plumbing fixture" means a receptacle or device which is either permanently or temporarily connected to the water distribution system of the premises, and demands a supply of water therefrom, or it discharges used water, liquid-borne waste materials, or sewage either directly or indirectly to the drainage system of the premises, or which requires both a water supply connection and a discharge to the drainage system of the premises. Plumbing appliances as a special class of fixture are further defined. This definition does not include the piping which carries water or sewage.

      (138) "Plumbing inspector" means a duly authorized employee or agent of the Office of Housing, Buildings and Construction who is charged with the responsibility of inspecting plumbing installations and with the enforcement of the state plumbing laws and code.

      (139) "Plumbing repair" means as used in the code to mean replacing a part or putting together that which is torn or broken.

      (140) "Plumbing system" means the following: appliances and water heaters; the water supply distributing pipes; the fixtures and fixture traps; the soil, waste and vent pipes; the house drain and house sewer; the storm water drainage within a building with their devices, appurtenances and connections all within and adjacent to the building.

      (141) "Pool" means "swimming pool".

      (142) "Potable water" means water free from impurities present in amounts sufficient to cause disease or harmful physiological effects and conforming in its bacteriological and chemical quality to the requirements of the Division of Water Quality or the administrative regulations of the Office of Housing, Buildings and Construction.

      (143) "Private or private use" means, in the classification of plumbing fixtures, private applies to fixtures in residences and apartments and to fixtures in private bathrooms of hotels as well as similar installations in other buildings where the fixtures are intended for the use of a family or an individual.

      (144) "Private sewer" means a sewer, serving two (2) or more buildings, privately owned, and not directly controlled by public authority.

      (145) "Public or public use" means, in the classification of plumbing fixtures, public applies to fixtures in general toilet rooms of schools, gymnasiums, hotels, railroad stations, public buildings, bars, public comfort stations, and other installations (whether pay or free) where a number of fixtures are installed so that their use is similarly unrestricted.

      (146) "Public sewer" means a common sewer directly controlled by public authority.

      (147) "Public water main" means a water supply pipe for public use controlled by public authority.

      (148) "Receptor" means a fixture or device which receives the discharge from indirect waste pipes.

      (149) "Relief vent" means an auxiliary vent which permits additional circulation of air in or between drainage and vent systems.

      (150) "Replace" means to put something new or rebuilt in the place of that which was existing.

      (151) "Return offset" means a double offset installed so as to return the pipe to its original alignment.

      (152) "Revent pipe" means "individual vent".

      (153) "Rim" means an unobstructed open edge of a fixture.

      (154) "Riser" means a water supply pipe which extends vertically one (1) full story or more to convey water to branches or to a group of fixtures.

      (155) "Roof drain" means a drain installed to receive water collecting on the surface of a roof and to discharge it into a leader or a conductor.

      (156) "Roughing-in" means the installation of all parts of the plumbing system which can be completed prior to the installation of fixtures. This includes drainage, water supply, and vent piping, and the necessary fixture supports.

      (157) "Safe waste" means "indirect waste".

      (158) "Sand interceptor" means "interceptor".

      (159) "Sand trap" means "interceptor".

      (160) "Sanitary sewer" means a sewer which carries sewage and excludes storm, surface, and ground water.

      (161) "Scrub sink" means a device usually located in the operating suite to enable operating personnel to scrub their hands prior to operating procedures. The hot and cold water supply is activated by a knee-action mixing valve or by wrist or pedal control.

      (162) "Seepage well or pit" means a covered pit with open-jointed lining into which septic tank effluent is received that will seep or leach into the surrounding porous soil.

      (163) "Separator" means "interceptor".

      (164) "Septic tank" means a watertight receptacle which receives the discharge of a building sanitary drainage system or part thereof, and is designed and constructed so as to digest organic matter through a period of detention and allow the liquids to discharge into the soil outside of the tank through a system of open joint or perforated piping, or a seepage pit.

      (165) "Sewage" means any liquid waste containing animal or vegetable matter in suspension or solution, and may include liquids containing chemicals in solution.

      (166) "Sewage ejectors" means a device for lifting sewage by entraining it in a high velocity jet of steam air or water.

      (167) "Side vent" means a vent connecting to the drain pipe through a fitting at an angle not greater than forty-five (45) degrees to the vertical.

      (168) "Size of pipe and tubing" means "diameter".

      (169) "Slope" means "grade".

      (170) "Soil pipe" means any pipe which conveys the discharge of water closets or similar fixtures, with or without the discharges from other fixtures, to the house drain.

      (171) "Soil vent" means "stack vent".

      (172) "Special wastes" means wastes which require special treatment before entry into the normal plumbing system.

      (173) "Special waste pipe" means pipes which convey special wastes.

      (174) "Stack" means any vertical line of soil, waste or vent piping.

      (175) "Stack group" means a group of fixtures located adjacent to the stack so that by means of proper fittings, vents may be reduced to a minimum.

      (176) "Stack vent" means the extension of a soil or waste stack above the highest horizontal drain connected to the stack.

      (177) "Stack venting" means a method of venting a fixture or fixtures through the soil or waste stack.

      (178) "Sterilizer, boiling type" means a fixture (nonpressure type), used for boiling instruments, utensils, and other equipment (used for disinfection). Some devices are portable, others are connected to the plumbing system.

      (179) "Sterilizer, instrument" means a device for the sterilization of various instruments.

      (180) "Sterilizer, pressure instrument washer-sterilizer" means a fixture (pressure vessel) designed to both wash and sterilize instruments during the operating cycle of the fixture.

      (181) "Sterilizer, pressure (autoclave)" means a fixture (pressure vessel) designed to use steam under pressure for sterilizing. Also called an autoclave.

      (182) "Sterilizer, utensil" means a device for the sterilization of utensils as used in hospital services.

      (183) "Sterilizer vent" means a separate pipe or stack, indirectly connected to the building drainage system at the lower terminal, which receives the vapors from nonpressure sterilizers, or the exhaust vapors from the pressure sterilizers, and conducts the vapors directly to the outer air. Sometimes called vapor, steam, atmospheric, or exhaust vent.

      (184) "Sterilizer, water" means a device for sterilizing water and storing sterile water.

      (185) "Still" means a device used in distilling liquids.

      (186) "Storm drain" means "building storm drain".

      (187) "Storm sewer" means a sewer used for conveying rain water, surface water, condensate, cooling water, or similar liquid wastes.

      (188) "Subsoil drain" means a drain which collects subsurface water and conveys it to a place of disposal.

      (189) "Sump" means a tank or pit, which receives sewage or liquid waste, located below the normal grade of the gravity system and which must be emptied by mechanical means.

      (190) "Sump pump" means a mechanical device other than an ejector or bucket for removing sewage or liquid waste from a sump.

      (191) "Supports" means devices for supporting and securing pipe, fixtures, and equipment.

      (192) "Swimming pool" means any structure, basin, chamber, or tank containing any artificial body of water for swimming, diving, wading or recreational bathing.

      (193) "Trap" means a fitting or device which provides a liquid seal to prevent the emission of sewer gases without materially affecting the flow of sewage or waste water through it.

      (194) "Trap arm" means that portion of a fixture drain between a trap and its vent.

      (195) "Trap primer" means a device or system of piping to maintain a water seal in a trap, typically installed where infrequent use of the trap would result in evaporation of the trap seal, such as floor drains.

      (196) "Trap seal" means the vertical distance between the crown weir and the top of the dip of the trap.

      (197) "Utility room" means a workroom in the patient nursing area, designed and equipped to facilitate preparation, cleaning and incidental sterilizing of the various supplies, instruments, utensils, etc., involved in nursing treatment and care, exclusive of medications handled in nurses' stations and bedpan cleaning and sterilizing.

      (198) "Vacuum" means any pressure less than exerted by the atmosphere.

      (199) "Vacuum breaker" means "backflow preventer".

      (200) "Vacuum breaker, nonpressure type (atmospheric)" means a vacuum breaker which is not designed to be subjected to static line pressure.

      (201) "Vacuum breaker, pressure type" means a vacuum breaker designed to operate under conditions of static line pressure.

      (202) "Vent pipe" means any pipe provided to ventilate a house drainage system and to prevent tray siphonage and back pressure.

      (203) "Vent system" means a pipe or pipes installed to provide a flow of air to or from a drainage system or to provide a circulation of air within such system to protect trap seals from siphonage and back pressure.

      (204) "Vertical pipe" means any pipe or fitting which makes an angle of forty-five (45) degrees or less with the vertical.

      (205) "Wall hung water closet" means a wall mounted water closet installed in such a way that no part of the water closet touches the floor.

      (206) "Waste pipe and special waste" means any pipe which receives the discharge of any fixture (except water closets or similar fixtures) and discharges to the house drain, soil or waste stacks. When such pipe does not connect directly with a house drain, waste or soil stack, it is termed a special waste.

      (207) "Water distributing pipe" means a pipe within the building or on the premises which conveys water from the water-service pipe or meter to the point of usage.

      (208) "Water lifts" means "sewage ejector".

      (209) "Water outlet" means a discharge opening through which water is supplied to a fixture, into the atmosphere (except into an open tank which is part of the water supply), to a boiler or heating system, to any devices or equipment requiring water to operate but which are not part of the plumbing system.

      (210) "Water riser pipe" means "riser".

      (211) "Water service pipe" means the pipe from the water main or other source of potable water supply to the water distributing system of the building served.

      (212) "Water supply stub" means a vertical pipe less than one (1) story in height supplying one (1) or more fixtures.

      (213) "Water supply system" means the water service pipe, the water-distributing pipes, and the necessary connecting pipes, fittings, control valves, and all appurtenances in or adjacent to the building or premises.

      (214) "Well, bored" means a well constructed by boring a hole in the ground with an auger and installing a casing.

      (215) "Well, drilled" means a well constructed by making a hole in the ground with a drilling machine of any type and installing casing and screen.

      (216) "Well, driven" means a well constructed by driving a pipe in the ground. The drive pipe is usually fitted with a well point and screen.

      (217) "Well, dug" means a well constructed by excavating a large diameter shaft and installing a casing.

      (218) "Wet vent" means a vent which receives the discharge of wastes other than from water closets.

      (219) "Yoke vent" means a pipe connecting upward from a soil or waste stack to a vent stack for the purpose of preventing pressure changes in the stack. (Recodified from 401 KAR 1:010, 7-5-78; Am. 9 Ky.R. 827; eff. 2-2-83; 12 Ky.R. 1659; eff. 5-6-86; 13 Ky.R. 779; eff. 11-11-86; 950; eff. 12-2-86; 14 Ky.R. 1116; eff. 1-4-88; 16 Ky.R. 2758; 17 Ky.R. 1092; eff. 8-22-90; 20 Ky.R. 3112; eff. 7-7-94; TAm eff. 8-9-2007.)