815 KAR 15:010. Definitions for 815 KAR Chapter 15.
RELATES TO: KRS Chapter 236
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 236.030
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 236.030 authorizes the commissioner, through the Board of Boiler and Pressure Vessel Rules, to fix reasonable standards for the safe construction, installation, inspection, and repair of boilers, pressure vessels, and pressure piping. This administrative regulation establishes the definitions used in the boiler and pressure vessel safety rules.
Section 1. Definitions. (1) "Act" means the Kentucky Boiler and Pressure Vessel Safety Act, KRS Chapter 236.
(2) "ANSI" means the American National Standards Institute.
(3) "ASME" is defined by KRS 236.010(5).
(4) "ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code or ASME Code" means the American Society of Mechanical Engineers Boiler and Pressure Vessel Codes as follows, including all cited code cases, appendices, and addenda, which are incorporated by reference in of 815 KAR 15:025:
(a) Section I, rules for construction of power boilers;
(b) Section II, material specifications:
1. Part A specifications for ferrous materials;
2. Part B specifications for nonferrous materials;
3. Part C specifications for welding rods, electrodes, and filler metals; and
4. Part D Properties (Customary);
(c) Section III, Nuclear Vessel Code;
(d) Section IV, Rules for construction of heating boilers;
(e) Section V, nondestructive examination;
(f) Section VIII, rules for construction of pressure vessels, Division 1, Division 2, and Division 3;
(g) Section IX, welding and brazing qualifications; and
(h) Section X, Fiber-Reinforced Plastic Pressure Vessels.
(5) "Authorized inspector" means an inspector holding the appropriate endorsement on the National Board Commission to perform new construction shop inspections.
(6) "Board" is defined by KRS 236.010(6).
(7) "Boiler" is defined by KRS 236.010(1).
(8) "Boiler Inspection Section" means the section within the Division of Plumbing, Department of Housing, Buildings and Construction.
(9) "Boiler inspector" is defined by KRS 236.010(14).
(10) "Certificate inspection" is defined by KRS 236.010(7).
(11) "Chief boiler inspector" is defined by KRS 236.010(13).
(12) "Code boiler or pressure vessel (or standard boiler or pressure vessel)" means a boiler or pressure vessel which bears the ASME Code Symbol stamp and designator, and the National Board stamp. (See also "state special".)
(13) "Commission" means the written credential issued by the department to a boiler inspector, special inspector, or owner-user inspector under the provisions of KRS 236.070, 236.080, or 236.095.
(14) "Commissioner" is defined by KRS 236.010(3).
(15) "Condemned boiler or pressure vessel" means a boiler or pressure vessel that has been inspected and declared unsafe or disqualified by legal requirements by a commissioned inspector who has applied a stamping or marking designating its rejection.
(16) "Department" is defined by KRS 236.010(4).
(17) "Electric boiler" means a power boiler, heating boiler, high or low-temperature water boiler in which the source of heat is electricity.
(18) "Existing installations" means any boilers and associated piping systems completed and approved for operation prior to July 1, 1970, or pressure vessels and associated piping systems completed and approved for operation prior to July 15, 1980.
(19) "Expansion tank" means a pressure vessel, unfired but directly connected to a hot water heating boiler, to absorb or cushion expansion therein and subject to comparable pressure with the boiler itself.
(20) "External inspection" means an inspection made when a boiler or pressure vessel is in operation and under pressure.
(21) "Fired jacketed steam kettle" means a vessel in which steam pressure is generated and shall be classified as a boiler.
(22) "Heat recovery boiler" means "process steam generator" as defined by this administrative regulation.
(23) "Heating boiler" is defined by KRS 236.010(1)(c).
(24) "High pressure, high temperature water boiler" is defined by KRS 236.010(1)(b).
(25) "Hot water heating boiler" means a nonsteam generating boiler from which hot water is circulated for heating purposes and returned to the boiler, and which operates at a pressure not exceeding 160 psig or a temperature of 250 degrees Fahrenheit at or near the boiler outlet.
(26) "Hot water storage tank" means a pressure vessel, unfired but directly connected to and subject to the same pressures as a companion hot water supply boiler, the combination being used to heat and store hot water for use externally to itself.
(27) "Hot water supply boiler" means a boiler completely filled with water that furnishes hot water to be used externally to itself at pressures not exceeding 160 psig or at temperatures not exceeding 210 degrees Fahrenheit at or near the boiler outlet.
(28) "Hydrostatic test" means the activity of filling a boiler and associated piping with water and raising the pressure within the system to check for tightness or safety.
(29) "Internal inspection" means an inspection made under circumstances that the boiler or pressure vessel is not operating, and handholes or manways are open for inspection of internal portions of the boiler or pressure vessel as construction permits.
(30) "Lined potable water heater" means a water heater with a corrosion resistant lining used to supply potable hot water.
(31) "Miniature boiler" means a power boiler or high temperature water boiler not exceeding any of the following:
(a) Sixteen (16) inches inside diameter of shell (not applicable to electric boilers);
(b) Twenty (20) square feet heating surface;
(c) Five (5) cubic feet gross exclusive of casing and insulation; or
(d) 100 pounds PSI maximum allowable working pressure.
(32) "National Board (NB)" means the National Board of Boiler and Pressure Vessel Inspectors, 1055 Crupper Avenue, Columbus, Ohio, 43229, which group has also issued a National Board Inspection Code.
(33) "Noncode boiler or pressure vessel (or nonstandard boiler or pressure vessel)" means a boiler or pressure vessel that does not bear the ASME code symbol stamp and designator or the National Board stamp. (See also "state special".)
(34) "Nuclear energy system" means that portion of a power plant that serves the purpose of producing and controlling output of thermal energy from nuclear fuel.
(35) "Nuclear power plant" means a nuclear power plant consisting of one (1) or more nuclear power systems and containment systems.
(36) "Nuclear power systems" means a system which serves the purpose of producing and controlling an output of thermal energy from nuclear fuel and those associated systems essential to the functions of the power system. The components of the system include such items as pressure vessels, piping system, pumps, valves, and storage tanks.
(37) "Nuclear vessel" means a pressure vessel designed and constructed in accordance with Section III of ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code.
(38) "Owner-user inspector" means an inspector commissioned by the department and employed by a company operating a pressure vessel within the commonwealth and meeting the requirements set forth in KRS 236.095(1).
(39) "Owner’s piping inspector" is defined by KRS 236.010(25).
(40) "Owner or user" means any person, firm, or corporation owning or operating a boiler or pressure vessel within this commonwealth.
(41) "Power boiler" is defined by KRS 236.010(1)(a).
(42) "Pressure piping" means the boiler and pressure vessel external and connecting piping emanating from the associated boiler or pressure vessel and includes code piping as covered under the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code, Sections I and IV; Pressure Vessel Code, Section VIII, Division I, 2, or 3. These piping codes include:
(a) Power Piping Code ASME B31.1;
(b) Process Piping Code ASME B31.3;
(c) Refrigeration Piping and Heat Transfer Components Code ASME B31.5;
(d) Building Services Piping Code ASME B31.9; and
(e) Hydrogen Piping and Pipelines Code ASME B31.12.
(43) "Pressure vessel" is defined by KRS 236.010(2).
(44) "Pressure vessels for human occupancy" or "PVHO" means all pressure vessels that enclose a human within its pressure boundary while under internal or external pressure exceeding a differential pressure of 2 psi. PVHOs include decompression or recompression chambers, high altitude chambers, hypobaric or hyperbaric chambers, hyperbaric stretchers, medical hyperbaric oxygenation facilities, and personnel transfer capsules.
(45) "Process steam generator" means a vessel or system of vessels comprised of one (1) or more drums and one (1) or more heat exchange surfaces as used in waste heat or heat recovery type steam boilers.
(46) "PSI (psi)" means pounds per square inch.
(47) "PSIG (psig)" means pounds per square inch gauge.
(48) "Reinstalled boiler or pressure vessel" means a boiler or pressure vessel removed from its original setting and re-erected at the same location or erected at a new location without change of ownership.
(49) "Repair" means the work necessary to restore pressure-retaining items to a safe and satisfactory operating condition to comply with the National Board Inspection Code incorporated by reference in 815 KAR 15:026.
(50) "Secondhand boiler or pressure vessel" means a boiler or pressure vessel in which both the location and ownership have been changed after initial use.
(51) "Special boiler inspector" is defined by KRS 236.010(15).
(52) "State special" means a boiler or pressure vessel which carries neither the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code symbol nor National Board stamping but has been accepted by the Department of Housing, Buildings and Construction pursuant to 815 KAR 15:025, Section 5.
(53) "Unfired steam boiler" means a vessel or system of vessels intended for operation at a pressure in excess of fifteen (15) psig for the purpose of producing and controlling an output of thermal energy.
(54) "V-R stamp holder" means the holder of a certificate issued by the National Board to repair pressure relief valves.
(55) "Water heater" means a closed vessel in which water is heated by the combustion of fuels, electricity or any other source and withdrawn for use external to the system at pressures not exceeding 160 psig and shall include all controls and devices necessary to prevent water temperatures from exceeding 210 degrees Fahrenheit.
(56) "Waste heat boiler" means "unfired steam boiler" as defined by this administrative regulation. (Recodified from 806 KAR 50:151, 7-5-1978; Am. 7 Ky.R. 259; eff. 10-1-80; 16 Ky.R. 55; eff. 8-22-89; 20 Ky.R. 2728; 2973; eff. 5-18-1994; TAm eff. 8-9-2007; 42 Ky.R. 1618; 2108; eff. 2-5-2016.)