815 KAR 15:010. Definitions.
RELATES TO: KRS Chapter 236
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 236.030, 236.040
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 236.030 authorizes the commissioner, through the Board of Boiler and Pressure Vessel Rules, to fix reasonable standards for the safe construction, installation, inspection and repair of boilers, pressure vessels and pressure piping. This administrative regulation sets forth the definitions used in the boiler and pressure vessel safety rules. This amendment is necessary to meet KRS Chapter 13A as determined by quadrennial review, as well as to clarify how newer codes are utilized.
Section 1. Definitions. (1) "Act" means the Kentucky Boiler and Pressure Vessel Safety Act, KRS Chapter 236.
(2) "ANSI" means the American National Standards Institute.
(3) "Approved" means approved by the Board of Boiler and Pressure Vessel Rules and the executive director of the office or the chief boiler inspector.
(4) "ASME" means the American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
(5) "ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code or ASME Code" means the American Society of Mechanical Engineers Boiler and Pressure Vessel Codes as follows, including all cited code cases, appendices and addenda, which is incorporated by reference in Section 1(1) of 815 KAR 15:025:
(a) Section I, rules for construction of power boilers;
(b) Section II, material specifications;
1. Part A for ferrous materials;
2. Part B for nonferrous materials; and
3. Part C for welding rods, electrodes and filler metals;
(c) Section III, Nuclear Vessel Code;
(d) Section IV, Rules for construction of heating boilers;
(e) Section V, nondestructive examination;
(f) Section VIII, rules for construction of pressure vessels, Division 1 and Division 2; and
(g) Section IX, welding and brazing qualifications.
(6) "Board of Boiler and Pressure Vessel Rules" as defined by KRS 236.010(6).
(7) "Boiler" as defined by KRS 236.010(1).
(8) "Boiler Inspection Section" means the agency, within the Division of Fire Prevention (Office of State Fire Marshal), Office of Housing, Buildings and Construction which supervises the implementation of KRS Chapter 236.
(9) "Boiler inspector" means any person employed by the Commonwealth of Kentucky for the purpose of inspecting boilers and pressure vessels in accordance with provisions of KRS 236.070.
(10) "Boiler safety administrative regulations" means 815 KAR 15:010 to 815 KAR 15:080.
(11) "Certificate of inspection" as defined by KRS 236.010(7).
(12) "Chief boiler inspector" means the person employed by the Commonwealth of Kentucky who shall supervise the work of the boiler inspectors and office staff under the general supervision of the State Fire Marshal and perform other duties as may be prescribed.
(13) "Code boiler or pressure vessel (or standard boiler or pressure vessel)" means a boiler or pressure vessel which bears the ASME Code Symbol stamp or the National Board stamp. (See also "state special".)
(14) "Commission" means the written credential issued by the office to an inspector or special inspector under the provisions of KRS 236.070 or 236.080.
(15) "Executive Director" as defined by KRS 236.010(3).
(16) "Condemned boiler or pressure vessel" means a boiler or pressure vessel that has been inspected and declared unsafe or disqualified by legal requirements by a qualified inspector who has applied a stamping or marking designating its rejection.
(17) "Office" as defined by KRS 236.010(4).
(18) "Electric boiler" means a power boiler, heating boiler, high or low-temperature water boiler in which the source of heat is electricity.
(19) "Existing installations" means and includes any boiler or pressure vessels constructed, installed, placed in operation, or contracted for before the effective date of this administrative regulation.
(20) "Expansion tank" means a pressure vessel, unfired but directly connected to a hot water heating boiler, to absorb or cushion expansion therein and subject to comparable pressure with the boiler itself.
(21) "External inspection" means an inspection made when a boiler or pressure vessel is in operation and under pressure.
(22) "Fired jacketed steam kettles" means vessels in which steam pressure is generated and shall be classed as a boiler.
(23) "Heat recovery boiler" (see "process steam generator").
(24) "Heating boiler" as defined by KRS 236.010(1)(c).
(25) "High pressure, high temperature water boiler" as defined by KRS 236.010(1)(b).
(26) "Hot water heating boiler" means a nonsteam generating boiler from which hot water is circulated for heating purposes and returned to the boiler, and which operates at a pressure not exceeding 160 psig or a temperature of 250 degrees Fahrenheit at or near the boiler outlet.
(27) "Hot water storage tank" means a pressure vessel, unfired but directly connected to and subject to the same pressures as a companion hot water supply boiler, the combination being used to heat and store hot water for use externally to itself.
(28) "Hot water supply boiler" means a boiler completely filled with water that furnishes hot water to be used externally to itself at pressures not exceeding 160 psig or at temperatures not exceeding 210 degrees Fahrenheit at or near the boiler outlet.
(29) "Hydrostatic test" means the activity of filling a boiler and associated piping with water and raising the pressure within the system to check for tightness or safety.
(30) "Inspector" means either "boiler inspector" or "special boiler inspector."
(31) "Internal inspection" means an inspection made under circumstances that the boiler or pressure vessel is not operating, and handholes or manways are open for inspection of internal portions of the boiler or pressure vessel as construction permits.
(32) "Lined potable water heater" means a water heater with a corrosion resistant lining used to supply potable hot water.
(33) "Major repair" means repairs that affect the strength of a boiler or pressure vessel by cutting and welding on any pressure part.
(34) "Miniature boiler" means a power boiler or high temperature water boiler not exceeding any of the following:
(a) Sixteen (16) inches inside diameter of shell (not applicable to electric boilers); or
(b) Twenty (20) square feet heating surface; or
(c) Five (5) cubic feet gross exclusive of casing and insulation; or
(d) 100 pounds PSI maximum allowable working pressure.
(35) "National Board (NB)" means the National Board of Boiler and Pressure Vessel Inspectors, 1055 Crupper Avenue, Columbus, Ohio 43229, which group has also issued a National Board Inspection Code.
(36) "Nationally recognized testing agency (NRTL)" means one (1) of the following laboratories or any other nationally recognized testing laboratory approved by the board whose label shall be used for all electric boilers and other electrical equipment after testing according to an established standard and by the prescribed procedure.
(a) Nationwide Consumer Testing Institute, Inc.;
(b) Underwriters Laboratories, Inc. (UL);
(c) Factory Mutual Research Corp. (FM);
(d) Met Electrical Testing Co., Inc.;
(e) Dash, Straus and Goodhue, Inc. of Boxborough, MA;
(f) ETL Testing Laboratories, Inc. of Cortland, NY;
(g) Communication Certification Laboratory of Salt Lake City;
(h) Canadian Standards Association's Toronto facility;
(i) The American Gas Associations Laboratories, Inc. of Cleveland; and
(j) California Air Resources Board.
(37) "Noncode boiler or pressure vessel (or nonstandard boiler or pressure vessel)" means a boiler or pressure vessel that does not bear the ASME, or the National Board stamp. (See also "state special").
(38) "Nuclear energy system" means that portion of a power plant that serves the purpose of producing and controlling output of thermal energy from nuclear fuel.
(39) "Nuclear power plant" means a nuclear power plant consisting of one (1) or more nuclear power systems and containment systems.
(40) "Nuclear power systems" means a system which serves the purpose of producing and controlling an output of thermal energy from nuclear fuel and those associated systems essential to the functions of the power system. The components of the system include such items as pressure vessels, piping system, pumps, valves and storage tanks.
(41) "Nuclear vessel" means a pressure vessel designed and constructed in accordance with Section III of ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code.
(42) "Owner or user" means any person, firm, or corporation owning or operating a boiler or pressure vessel within this Commonwealth.
(43) "Power boiler" means as defined by KRS 236.010(1)(a).
(44) "Pressure piping" means the boiler and pressure vessel external and connecting (steam, vapor or water) piping emanating from the associated boiler or pressure vessel and includes code piping as covered under the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code, Sections I and IV; Unfired Pressure Vessel Code, Section VIII, Division I, the Power Piping Code ANSI B-31.1.
(45) "Pressure vessel" as defined by KRS 236.010(2).
(46) "Process steam generator" means a vessel or system of vessels comprised of one (1) or more drums and one (1) or more heat exchange surfaces as used in waste heat or heat recovery type steam boilers.
(47) "PSI (psi)" means pounds per square inch.
(48) "PSIG (psig)" means pounds per square inch gauge.
(49) "Reinstalled boiler or pressure vessel" means a boiler or pressure vessel removed from its original setting and reerected at the same location or erected at a new location without change of ownership.
(50) "Secondhand boiler or pressure vessel" means a boiler or pressure vessel in which both the location and ownership have been changed after initial use.
(51) "Special boiler inspector" means any person employed by an insurance company authorized to insure boilers and pressure vessels in this Commonwealth and who holds a commission as provided for in KRS 236.080.
(52) "State special" means a boiler or pressure vessel which carries neither the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code symbol nor National Board stamping but has been accepted by the Office of Housing, Buildings and Construction upon advice of the board as meeting standards equivalent to the applicable ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code, pursuant to 815 KAR 15:025, Section 5(1).
(53) "Unfired steam boiler" means a vessel or system of vessels intended for operation at a pressure in excess of fifteen (15) psig for the purpose of producing and controlling an output of thermal energy.
(54) "V-R stamp holder" means the holder of a certificate issued by the National Board to repair pressure relief valves.
(55) "Water heater" means a closed vessel in which water is heated by the combustion of fuels, electricity or any other source and withdrawn for use external to the system at pressures not exceeding 160 psig and shall include all controls and devices necessary to prevent water temperatures from exceeding 210 degrees Fahrenheit.
(56) "Waste heat boiler" (see "unfired steam boiler"). (Recodified from 806 KAR 50:151, 7-5-78; Am. 7 Ky.R. 259; eff. 10-1-80; 16 Ky.R. 55; eff. 8-22-89; 20 Ky.R. 2728; 2973; eff. 5-18-94; TAm eff. 8-9-2007.)