815 KAR 15:010. Definitions for 815 KAR Chapter 15.
RELATES TO: KRS Chapter 236
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 236.030
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 236.030 requires the commissioner to promulgate administrative regulations that establish reasonable standards for the safe construction, installation, inspection, and repair of boilers, pressure vessels, and pressure piping. This administrative regulation establishes the definitions for terms used in 815 KAR Chapter 15.
Section 1. Definitions. (1) "ASME" is defined by KRS 236.010(5).
(2) "ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code" or "ASME Code" means the American Society of Mechanical Engineers Boiler and Pressure Vessel Codes as follows, including all cited code cases, appendices, and addenda, which are incorporated by reference in 815 KAR 15:025 and 815 KAR 15:026:
(a) Section I, rules for construction of power boilers;
(b) Section II, material specifications:
1. Part A specifications for ferrous materials;
2. Part B specifications for nonferrous materials;
3. Part C specifications for welding rods, electrodes, and filler metals; and
4. Part D Properties (Customary);
(c) Section IV, Rules for construction of heating boilers;
(d) Section V, nondestructive examination;
(e) Section VIII, rules for construction of pressure vessels, Division 1, Division 2, and Division 3;
(f) Section IX, welding and brazing qualifications; and
(g) Section X, Fiber-Reinforced Plastic Pressure Vessels.
(3) "Authorized inspector" means an inspector holding the appropriate endorsement on the National Board Commission to perform new construction shop inspections.
(4) "Boiler" is defined by KRS 236.010(1).
(5) "Boiler and pressure vessel contractor" means the holder of a boiler and pressure vessel contractor license as issued by the department pursuant to KRS 236 and 815 Chapter 8.
(6) "Boiler Inspection Section" means the section within the Division of Plumbing, Department of Housing, Buildings and Construction.
(7) "Boiler inspector" is defined by KRS 236.010(14).
(8) "Certificate inspection" is defined by KRS 236.010(7).
(9) "Chief boiler inspector" is defined by KRS 236.010(13).
(10) "Code boiler or pressure vessel" means a boiler or pressure vessel that bears the ASME Code Symbol stamp and designator. (See also "state special.")
(11) "Commission" means the written credential issued by the department to a boiler inspector, special boiler inspector, or owner-user inspector pursuant to KRS 236.070, 236.080, or 236.095.
(12) "Commissioner" is defined by KRS 236.010(3).
(13) "Deaerator tank" means a pressure vessel in which water is heated, usually by steam, so that any dissolved oxygen is removed from the water.
(14) "Department" is defined by KRS 236.010(4).
(15) "Existing installations" means any boilers and associated piping systems completed and approved for operation prior to July 1, 1970, or pressure vessels and associated piping systems completed and approved for operation prior to July 15, 1980.
(16) "External inspection" means an inspection made while a boiler or pressure vessel is in operation and under pressure.
(17) "Heat recovery boiler" means a boiler in which the source of heat is from another process.
(18) "Heating boiler" is defined by KRS 236.010(1)(c).
(19) "High pressure, high temperature water boiler" is defined by KRS 236.010(1)(b).
(20) "Hot water heating boiler" means a boiler from which hot water is circulated for heating purposes and returned to the boiler and that operates at a pressure not exceeding 160 psig or a temperature of 250 degrees Fahrenheit at or near the boiler outlet.
(21) "Hot water storage tank" means a pressure vessel, unfired but connected to and subject to the same pressures as a companion hot water supply boiler, the combination being used to heat and store hot water for use externally to itself.
(22) "Hot water supply boiler" means a boiler completely filled with water that furnishes hot water to be used externally to itself at pressures not exceeding 160 psig or at temperatures not exceeding 210 degrees Fahrenheit at or near the boiler outlet.
(23) "Hydrostatic test" means the activity of filling a boiler, pressure vessel, or associated piping with water and raising the pressure within the system to check for tightness or mechanical integrity.
(24) "Internal inspection" means an inspection made under circumstances that the boiler or pressure vessel is not operating and hand holes or manways are open for inspection of internal portions of the boiler or pressure vessel as construction permits.
(25) "Jacketed kettle" means a pressure vessel with inner and outer walls that is subject to water or steam pressure and is used to boil or heat liquids and to cook food.
(26) "Lined potable water boiler" means a water boiler with a corrosion resistant lining used to supply potable hot water.
(27) "MAWP" is defined by KRS 236.010(23).
(28) "National Board (NB)" means the National Board of Boiler and Pressure Vessel Inspectors.
(29) "Noncode boiler or pressure vessel " means a boiler or pressure vessel that does not bear the ASME code symbol stamp and designator. (See also "state special.")
(30) "Owner-user inspector" means an inspector commissioned by the department and employed by a company operating a pressure vessel within the Commonwealth and meeting the requirements established in KRS 236.095(1).
(31) "Owner or user" means any person, firm, or corporation owning or operating a boiler or pressure vessel within this Commonwealth.
(32) "Owner’s piping inspector" is defined by KRS 236.010(25).
(33) "Power boiler" is defined by KRS 236.010(1)(a).
(34) "Pressure piping" means the connecting piping emanating from the associated boiler or pressure vessel and includes piping as covered pursuant to the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code, Sections I and IV; Pressure Vessel Code, Section VIII, Division I, 2, or 3. These piping codes include:
(a) Power Piping Code ASME B31.1;
(b) Process Piping Code ASME B31.3;
(c) Refrigeration Piping and Heat Transfer Components Code ASME B31.5;
(d) Building Services Piping Code ASME B31.9; and
(e) Hydrogen Piping and Pipelines Code ASME B31.12.
(35) "Pressure vessel" is defined by KRS 236.010(2).
(36) "Pressure vessels for human occupancy" or "PVHO" means all pressure vessels that enclose a human within its pressure boundary while under internal or external pressure exceeding a differential pressure of 2 psi. PVHOs include decompression or recompression chambers, high altitude chambers, hypobaric or hyperbaric chambers, hyperbaric stretchers, medical hyperbaric oxygenation facilities, and personnel transfer capsules.
(37) "PSI (psi)" means pounds per square inch.
(38) "PSIG (psig)" means pounds per square inch gauge.
(39) "Reinstalled boiler or pressure vessel" means a boiler or pressure vessel removed from its original setting and re-erected at the same location or erected at a new location without change of ownership.
(40) "Repair" means the work necessary to restore pressure-retaining items to a safe and satisfactory operating condition to comply with the National Board Inspection Code incorporated by reference in 815 KAR 15:026.
(41) "Secondhand boiler or pressure vessel" means a boiler or pressure vessel in which both the location and ownership have been changed after initial use.
(42) "Special boiler inspector" is defined by KRS 236.010(15).
(43) "State special" means a boiler or pressure vessel that carries neither the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code symbol nor National Board registration but has been accepted by the department pursuant to 815 KAR 15:025, Section 4.
(44) "V-R stamp holder" means the holder of a certificate issued by the National Board to repair pressure relief valves. (Recodified from 806 KAR 50:151, 7-5-1978; Am. 7 Ky.R. 259; eff. 10-1-1980; 16 Ky.R. 55; eff. 8-22-1989; 20 Ky.R. 2728; 2973; eff. 5-18-1994; TAm eff. 8-9-2007; 42 Ky.R. 1618; 2108; eff. 2-5-2016; 44 Ky.R. 810, 1334; eff. 1-5-2018.)