RELATES TO: KRS 198B.650, 198B.656, 198B.658, 198B.662, 198B.664
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 198B.654(1), 198B.658(3)(a)
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 198B.654(1) requires the Board of Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning Contractors to promulgate administrative regulations requiring unlicensed persons engaged in heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) to be registered. This administrative regulation establishes the requirements for registration and certification of apprentices.
Section 1. Registration of Apprentices. (1) Except for those HVAC apprentices registered with the Division of Employment Standards, Department of Labor, all apprentices defined by KRS 198B.650, shall be registered with the board by complying with this administrative regulation.
(2) Each individual who registers with the board shall be issued an HVAC certificate of apprenticeship pursuant to KRS 198B.658(3) and this administrative regulation.
(3) The HVAC Apprentice Registration form shall be updated by the apprentice and submitted to the board to update change of address or change of employer.
(4) The certificate of registration shall authorize an individual to work in the HVAC trade under:
(a) The direct supervision of at least one (1) journeyman HVAC mechanic; and
(b) The general supervision of a master contractor.
(5) The registration application shall include the license number and signature of the supervising master contractor.
Section 2. Initial Application for Apprentice Certificate of Registration. Registration shall be accomplished by filing a completed HVAC Apprentice Registration Form, Form HVAC 3, with the board including a passport-sized photograph. The photograph shall be taken not more than sixty (60) days prior to submitting the HVAC Apprentice Registration Form.
Section 3. Minimum Number of Hours of Experience. (1) 3,000 verifiable work hours shall be the minimum number of work hours accepted as the required two (2) years of experience for an HVAC journeyman mechanic license pursuant to 815 KAR 8:020.
(2) The apprentice shall retain personal records of employment hours to verify the experience required for a journeyman HVAC mechanic license.
Section 4. Incorporation by Reference. (1) "HVAC Apprentice Registration Form", Form HVAC 3, August 2011, is incorporated by reference.
(2) This material may be inspected, copied, or obtained, subject to applicable copyright law, at the of Housing, Buildings and Construction, Division of HVAC, 101 Sea Hero Road, Suite 100, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601-5405, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (21 Ky.R. 1614; eff. 2-10-95; Am. 22 Ky.R. 2118; eff. 7-5-96; 31 Ky.R. 1747; 1978; eff. 7-1-2005; 38 Ky.R. 618; eff. 9-28-11.)