811 KAR 1:060. Postponement; rescheduling, purses.
RELATES TO: KRS 230.215, 230.260(1)
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 230.215(2), 230.260(3)
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 230.215(2) and 230.260(3) authorize the Authority to promulgate administrative regulations prescribing the conditions under which horse racing shall be conducted in Kentucky. This administrative regulation establishes the procedures for postponement of races.
Section 1. If unfavorable weather or other unavoidable cause exists that necessitates postponement of a race, and the judges consent, an association shall postpone a race in the following manner:
(1) Early closing races, stakes, and futurities shall be postponed to a definite hour the next fair day and good track.
(2) A late closing race, early closing race, stake, or futurity (except as provided in subsections (4) and (5) of this section) that cannot be raced during the scheduled meeting shall be declared off and the entrance money and forfeits shall be divided equally among the nominators who have horses declared in and eligible to start.
(3) A late closing race or early closing race that has been started and remains unfinished on the last day of the scheduled meeting shall be declared ended and the full purse divided according to the summary. A late closing race or early closing race that has been started but postponed by rain earlier in the meeting shall be declared ended and the full purse divided according to the summary if there is sufficient time to conduct the race during the scheduled meeting.
(4) A stake or futurity shall be raced where advertised and the race meeting, if necessary, shall be extended. A stake or futurity that has been started and remains unfinished on the last day of the scheduled meeting shall be declared ended and the full purse divided according to the summary, except if the association elects to extend the meeting to complete the race. A horse that is scratched after a heat and before a race is declared finished shall not participate in purse distribution from subsequent heats.
(5) Unless otherwise provided in the conditions of the race, unanimous consent shall be obtained from the association and from those with eligibles in the event before a stakes race or futurity may be transferred to another meeting.
(6) At a meeting of more than five (5) days duration, an overnight event may be postponed and carried over for a maximum of two (2) racing days.
(7) At a meeting of five (5) days duration or less, an overnight event or late closing race shall be cancelled and starting fees shall be returned if postponement occurs, unless the association adds the postponed race to the advertised program and the race is held within two (2) weeks of cancellation.
(8) A postponed race may, at the option of the association, be contested in a single mile dash. If a race is postponed under this administrative regulation, the association shall select the order in which the events shall be raced in any combined program. (KTC 1-8 (Rule 15); 1 Ky.R. 1109; eff. 6-11-75; Am. 33 Ky.R. 941; 2961; eff. 4-6-07.)