805 KAR 9:020. Well location plat, preparation, form and contents.
RELATES TO: KRS 349.015
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 349.115
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 349.115 authorizes the Department for Natural Resources to promulgate all rules, administrative regulations, and amendments to implement the provisions of KRS Chapter 349, governing coal bed methane wells. This administrative regulation establishes requirements for uniformity and clarity in the identification of well locations in order to assure compliance with KRS 349.015.
Section 1. Applicability. This administrative regulation shall apply only to coal bed methane-producing operations and shall not apply to either transmission or distribution systems, or to product storage facilities.
Section 2. Certification of Plats. Location plats for wells proposed to be drilled pursuant to KRS Chapter 349 shall be prepared by a licensed land surveyor and certified by an engineer registered in Kentucky. If any plat submitted by an applicant is determined by the department to be materially inaccurate or incomplete, the department may require that a new plat be prepared and submitted.
Section 3. Distance from Buildings. A coal bed methane well shall not be drilled within 150 feet measured horizontally from the surface location of the well bore to any occupied building, unless the owner of the building has executed a written waiver consenting to the well being drilled closer than 150 feet. The surveyor preparing the plat for a permit shall indicate the location of a proposed well site relative to all buildings within 150 feet of that well site. If an owner of a building located within 150 feet of a proposed well site waives the 150 foot distance requirement, a copy of the executed waiver shall accompany the application for permit. A waiver shall not be transferable unless it contains an express provision that it is transferable.
Section 4. Proposed Location Plat. A separate location plat shall be submitted with each application to drill, deepen or reopen a well. A copy of the plat shall be attached to the "Notice of Application for a Coal Bed Methane Well," CBM-1, and submitted to the relevant parties pursuant to KRS 349.015(2), (3), (4), or (7). Copies of these notices and the certified receipts shall be attached, along with the plat, to the "Coal Bed Methane Well Permit Application," CBM-2, when submitting to the department for permit request.
Section 5. As-Drilled Plat. An as-drilled plat required by KRS 349.015(8) shall be submitted within fifteen (15) calendar days after completion of the coal bed methane well.
Section 6. Plat Requirements. A location plat for wells proposed to be drilled pursuant to the provisions of KRS Chapter 349 shall be prepared in the following manner:
(1) It shall be legible and submitted on paper eight (8) and one-half (1/2) by fourteen (14) inches.
(2) The location of the proposed well shall be shown relative to the two (2) nearest boundaries of mineral ownership, including any subdivision of the lease. A plat shall also indicate all permitted and producing coal bed methane wells and oil and gas wells within 1,500 feet of the proposed well site. The distances shall be clearly shown in feet.
(3) The location of the proposed well shall be shown on the plat, by bearing and distance, relative to two (2) permanent points/monuments that appear on the applicable USGS 7.5 minute topographic quadrangle map, which permanent points/monuments include road intersections, bench marks, and buildings.
(4) The location of the well site shall be prepared with reference to all of the following: the Carter Coordinate system, latitude and longitude, and the single zone state plane coordinate system.
(5) The elevation of the well site shall be determined by instrument and calculation. Estimated topographic elevations shall not be acceptable.
(6) The plat shall be prepared to a scale of one (1) inch equals 100, 200, 300, 400, 500 or 600 feet.
Section 7. Additional Requirements. In addition to the data required in Section 6 of this administrative regulation, location plats shall include the following information:
(2) Farm or lease name;
(3) Well number;
(5) Scale at which the plat is drawn;
(6) North direction;
∘ - Proposed well site
● - Oil well
☼ - Gas well
Å - Coal bed methane well
⊚ - Injection well
¤ - Plugged well
ø - Abandoned well, not plugged
(8) Date of preparation of plat;
(9) Name of the topographic quadrangle map on which the well site is located;
(10) Owners, lessors and lessees of minerals on tracts which are offset by the proposed well;
(11) Certification in the following form: "I hereby certify that the above plat is accurate and correct and satisfies the requirements of 805 KAR 9:020 to the best of my knowledge and belief"; and
(12) Certification shall be followed by the written signature of the person preparing the plat, his or her mailing address, registration number, and telephone number.
Section 8. Material Incorporated by Reference. (1) The following material is incorporated by reference:
(a) "Notice of Application for a Coal Bed Methane Well," Form CBM-1, January 2005, Division of Oil and Gas Conservation,; and
(b) "Coal Bed Methane Well Permit Application," Form CBM-2, January 2005, Division of Oil and Gas Conservation.
(2) This material may be inspected, copied, or obtained, subject to applicable copyright law, at the Kentucky Department for Natural Resources, Division of Oil and Gas Conservation, 300 Sower Boulevard, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (31 Ky.R. 1467; eff. 6-8-2005; TAm eff. 7-6-2016.)