805 KAR 4:140. Misfires.
RELATES TO: KRS 351.315, 351.350
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 351.335(1)
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 351.335(1) authorizes the Department for Natural Resources to promulgate rules and administrative regulations concerning the manufacture, transportation, sale, storage, or use of explosives and unassembled components of explosives, and the maintenance of such explosives which has a direct bearing on safety to life and property. This administrative regulation establishes safety guidelines for licensed blasters in the event of a misfire.
Section 1. (1) If a misfire is found, the blaster shall guard the blasting area and exclude all employees from the danger zone.
(2) No other work shall be done except that necessary to remove the hazard of the misfire and only those employees necessary to do the work shall remain in the danger zone.
(3) No attempt shall be made to extract explosives from any charged or misfired hole; a new primer shall be put in and the hole reblasted. If refiring on the misfired hole presents a hazard, the explosives may be removed by washing out with water or, if the misfire is under water, blown out with air.
(4) If there is a misfire while using cap and fuse, all employees shall remain away from the charge for at least one (1) hour.
(5) If electric blasting caps have been used, employees shall not return to misfired holes for at least fifteen (15) minutes.
(6) If a completely nonelectric initiation system, other than safety fuse, has been used, persons shall not return to a misfired hole for at least fifteen (15) minutes.
(7) Drilling, digging, or picking shall not be permitted until all missed holes have been detonated or the authorized representative has approved that work can proceed.
(8) A misfire shall be handled under the direction of the blaster in charge. All connections shall be carefully traced and a search made for unexploded charges. (2 Ky.R. 617; Am. 3 Ky.R. 364; eff. 9-1-76; 4 Ky.R. 308; eff. 5-3-78; 17 Ky.R. 3277; eff. 6-26-91; 23 Ky.R. 1752; 2493; eff. 12-11-96; TAm eff. 8-9-2007.)