805 KAR 4:120. Detonating cords.
RELATES TO: KRS 351.350
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS Chapter 13A, 351.335
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 351.335 requires the Department for Natural Resources to promulgate rules and administrative regulations concerning the manufacture, transportation, sale, storage, or use of explosives and unassembled components of explosives, and the maintenance of such explosives which has a direct bearing on safety to life and property. This administrative regulation effects the provisions of that law.
Section 1. (1) The blaster shall select a detonating cord consistent with the type and physical condition of the borehole and stemming and the type of explosives used.
(2) Detonating cord shall be handled and used with the same respect and care given other explosives.
(3) The line of detonating cord extending out of a borehole or from a charge shall be cut from the supply spool before loading the remainder of the borehole or placing additional charges.
(4) Detonating cords shall be handled and used with care to avoid damaging or severing the cord during and after loading and hooking-up.
(5) Detonating-cord connections shall be competent and positive in accordance with approved and recommended methods. Knot type or other cord-to-cord connections shall be made only with detonating cords in which the explosive core is dry.
(6) All detonating-cord trunk lines and branch lines shall be free of loops, sharp kinks, or angles that direct the cord back toward the oncoming line of detonation.
(7) All detonating-cord connections shall be inspected before firing the blast.
(8) When detonating-cord millisecond-delay connectors or short-interval-delay electric blasting caps are used with detonating cords, such use shall conform strictly with the manufacturer's recommendations.
(9) When connecting a blasting cap or an electric blasting cap to a detonating cord, the cap shall be taped or otherwise attached securely along the side or the end of the detonating cord, with the end of the cap containing the explosive charge pointed in the direction in which the detonation is to proceed.
(10) Detonators for firing the trunk line shall not be attached to the detonating cord until everything else is in readiness for the blast.
(11) All trunk lines of detonating cord shall be covered if located within 800 feet of any public highway, dwelling house, public building, school, church, commercial or institutional building.
(12) When the use of detonating cord would cause severe concussion, the department may cause all trunk lines to be covered by a minimum of six (6) inches of loose earth. (2 Ky.R. 615; Am. 3 Ky.R. 364; eff. 9-1-76; 17 Ky.R. 3274; eff. 6-26-91; TAm eff. 8-9-2007.)