805 KAR 4:087. Explosives.
RELATES TO: KRS 351.350
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS Chapter 13A, 351.335
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 351.335 requires the Department for Natural Resources to promulgate rules and administrative regulations concerning the manufacture, transportation, sale, storage, or use of explosives and unassembled components of explosives, and the maintenance of such explosives which has a direct bearing on safety to life and property. This administrative regulation effects the provisions of that law.
Section 1. (1) Explosive magazines shall be posted with suitable danger signs so located that a bullet passing through the face of a sign will not strike the magazine.
(2) Containers of explosives or blasting agents shall be stacked in a stable manner, but not more than eight (8) feet high.
(3) Ammonium nitrate fuel oil blasting agents shall be physically separated from other explosives, safety fuse, or detonating cord stored in the same magazine and in such a manner that oil does not contaminate the other explosives, safety fuse or detonating cord.
(4) Special precautions shall be taken when blasting in close proximity to underground operations, and no blasting shall be done which would be hazardous to persons working underground.
(5) Only nonsparking implements shall be used to punch holes in an explosive cartridge.
(6) Delay connectors for firing detonating cord shall be treated and handled with the same safety precautions as blasting caps and electric detonators.
(7) Primers containing a detonator shall be prepared with the detonator container securely and completely within the explosive charge or within a suitable tunnel or cap well.
(8) Explosives or blasting agents shall be kept separate from detonators until charging is started.
(9) Ammonium nitrate and the components used for the sensitizing thereof shall be stored, mixed, transported and used in accordance with the recommendations in Bureau of Mines Information Circular 8179, "Safety Recommendations for Sensitized Ammonium Nitrate Blasting Agents," or subsequent revisions.
(10) Excessive force shall not be used in assembling any connecting device or primer cartridges. No tool shall be used to dislodge a detonator, or a component containing a detonator, from a primer.
(11) A cast primer or booster shall not be used if the hole for the detonator is too small to accept the detonator; no one shall enlarge a hole or cap well in a cast primer or booster to accept a detonator.
(12) No detonator shall come in contact with a high explosive cartridge until the primer is being assembled, and immediately upon assembly, the primer shall be loaded into the borehole. (3 Ky.R. 318; eff. 3-2-77; Am. 4 Ky.R. 304; eff. 5-3-78; 11 Ky.R. 788; eff. 12-11-84; 17 Ky.R. 3271; eff. 6-26-91; TAm eff. 8-9-2007.)