805 KAR 3:060. Drilling for blasting.
RELATES TO: KRS 351.070
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 351.070
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: This administrative regulation is to establish safety standards controlling drilling for blasting in the operation of the Commonwealth's surface type coal and clay mines which include strip and auger mining operations.
Section 1. Drilling for Blasting. (1) Equipment shall be inspected each shift by a competent person designated by the operator. Equipment defects affecting safety shall be reported immediately.
(2) Equipment defects affecting safety shall be corrected before the equipment is used.
(3) The drilling area shall be inspected by a competent person designated by the operator for hazards before drilling operations are started.
(4) Men shall not be on the mast while the drill is in operation.
(5) Drill crews and others shall stay clear of augers or drill stems that are in motion. Persons shall not pass under a step over a moving stem or auger.
(6) Receptacles or racks shall be provided for drill steel stored on drills.
(7) Tools and other objects shall not be left loose on the mast or drill platform.
(8) When a drill is being moved from one (1) drilling area to another, drill steel, tools and other equipment shall be secured and the mast placed in a safe position.
(9) In the event of power failure, drill controls shall be placed in the neutral position until power is restored.
(10) While in operation, drills shall be attended at all times.
(11) Drill holes large enough to constitute a hazard shall be covered or guarded.
(12) Men shall not drill from positions that hinder their access to the control levers, or from insecure footing or staging, or from atop equipment not designed for that purpose.
(13) Bit wrenches or bit knockers shall be used to remove detachable bits from drill steel.
(14) Starter steels shall be used when collaring holes with hand-held or feedleg drills.
(15) Men shall not hold the drill steel while collaring holes, or rest their hands on the chuck or centralizer while drilling.
(16) Air shall be turned off and bled from the hose before hand-held drills are moved from one (1) working area to another. (SMS-5; 1 Ky.R. 851; eff. 5-14-75.)