805 KAR 3:020. General standards.
RELATES TO: KRS 351.070
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 13A.100, 351.070
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: This administrative regulation establishes general operating safety standards controlling the operation of the Commonwealth's surface coal and clay mines, which include strip and auger mining operations.
Section 1. General Standards for Coal and Clay Mines. (1) Each mine shall be under the supervision of a foreman certified under conditions set forth by the department. Where operations are so extensive that the foreman cannot personally visit all the mine workings, he/she shall employ certified assistants who shall be subject to the same requirements as the foreman.
(2) Each place of work shall be visited by a certified foreman or his/her assistant at the beginning of and at least once each shift and more frequently as necessary to ensure that work is being done in a safe manner.
(3) No employee shall be assigned, allowed, or be required to perform work alone in any area where hazardous conditions exist that would endanger his/her safety unless he/she can communicate with others, can be heard or can be seen.
(4) When work is performed after dark, the areas of drilling, blasting, stripping, and loading shall be properly illuminated.
(5) A certified person shall be in charge at all times when the mine is in operation.
(6) Where telephone service is not available, emergency communications shall be provided to the nearest point of assistance.
(7) Arrangements shall be made in advance for obtaining emergency medical assistance and transportation for injured persons. (SMS-12; 1 Ky.R. 848; eff. 5-14-75; Am. 11 Ky.R. 1895; eff. 7-9-85.)