804 KAR 11:030. Beer tastings.
RELATES TO: KRS 244.590
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 241.060
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 244.590 prohibits a brewery or distributor from making any gift or rendering any kind of service to any licensee under KRS 243.040 which may tend to influence the licensee to purchase the product of the brewery or distributor to the exclusion in whole or in part of those offered for sale by other persons, except as prescribed by administrative regulation. This administrative regulation is designed to regulate said educational meetings sponsored by breweries, importers and/or distributors for retail malt beverage licensees in a manner consistent with modern marketing practices and in conformance with relevant statutory provisions and legislative intent. Such educational affairs serve a useful purpose for the industry.
Section 1. Educational meetings, such as malt beverage tastings and the introduction of a new product or special packaging, sponsored by a brewery, importer and/or distributor for retail licensees under KRS 243.040 are permitted provided:
(1) Such meetings are held on licensed premises, other than premises licensed for the sale of package liquors at retail.
(2) Guests limited to retail malt beverage licensees and their employees.
(3) No service of any alcoholic beverage be made to minors.
(4) Activity limited to serving malt beverages and hors d'oeuvres.
(5) No alcoholic beverages may be given to be carried away from licensed premises by invited guests.
(6) No gift, or favor, of any kind may be given to the guests to be taken from the premises at which the meeting is conducted.
(7) Ten (10) days prior written notification must be given to the Kentucky Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control containing detailed plans of the activity including estimated cost per guest.
(8) The activity does not include brewery tours. (11 Ky.R. 1968; eff. 8-13-1985; TAm eff. 8-9-2007; TAm eff. 7-15-2014.)