803 KAR 2:310. Medical services and first aid.
RELATES TO: KRS 338.051(3)
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 338.051(3), 338.061
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 338.051(3) requires the Kentucky Occupational Safety and Health Standards Board to adopt and promulgate occupational safety and health administrative regulations. This administrative regulation establishes the medical services and first aid standards to be enforced by the Division of Occupational Safety and Health in the area of general industry.
Section 1. The employer shall ensure the ready availability of medical personnel for advice and consultation on matters of occupational health.
(1) Employers with eight (8) or more employees within the establishment shall have persons adequately trained to render first aid and adequate first aid supplies shall be readily available. Outside salesmen, truck drivers, seasonal labor, and others who, while performing their duties, are away from the premises more than fifty (50) percent of the time shall not be included in determining the number of employees.
(2) All other employers shall, in the absence of an infirmary, clinic, or hospital in near proximity to the workplace which is used for the treatment of all injured employees, have a person or persons adequately trained to render first aid. Adequate first aid supplies shall be readily available.
Section 2. If the eyes or body of any person may be exposed to injurious corrosive material, suitable facilities for quick drenching or flushing of the eyes and body shall be provided within the work area for immediate emergency use. The facilities shall comply with the provisions of the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) Z-358.1-1990, "Standard for Emergency Eyewash and Shower Equipment", which is incorporated by reference, with the following exceptions:
(1) In a remote area if a person is visibly or audibly separated from coworkers, an audible or visible alarm shall activate to alert appropriate personnel when the unit is in use, or in the alternative, a two (2) way communication device shall be used. The alarm shall continue until the unit is no longer in use.
(2) A facility shall be tested according to the standard monthly.
Section 3. Incorporation by reference. (1) ANSI Z-358.1-1990, "Standards for Emergency Eyewash and Shower Equipment", is incorporated by reference.
(2) This material may be inspected, copied, or obtained, subject to applicable copyright law, at the Kentucky Labor Cabinet, Division of Occupational Safety and Health, 1047 U.S. 127 South, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601, Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (16 Ky.R. 693; eff. 12-15-89; Am. 19 Ky.R. 2736; 20 Ky.R. 367; 511; eff. 9-3-93; 25 Ky.R. 2445; eff. 6-16-99; 32 Ky.R. 548; 872; eff. 12-2-2005; 34 Ky.R. 1210; 1737; eff. 2-1-2008; TAm eff. 9-8-2011.)