784 KAR 1:020. State Adult Literacy Program plan.
RELATES TO: KRS 151B.135, 151B.140
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 13A.100, 151B.135, 151B.140
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: The Governor's Commission on Literacy is authorized by KRS 151B.140 to administer a statewide Adult Literacy Program. KRS 151B.135 authorizes the commission to review and evaluate literacy programs and report findings and recommendations to the Governor, the Legislative Research Commission, and appropriate cabinet and department heads. The function of this administrative regulation is to assist in the evaluation of existing resources and to set planning goals and guidelines which will provide for optional utilization of all resources directed toward adult literacy programs.
Section 1. State Adult Literacy Program Plan Development. (1) The Governor's Commission on Literacy shall determine the statewide Adult Literacy Program needs of the Commonwealth after providing reasonable opportunity for the submission of written recommendations from appropriate state agencies which provide such services and from other agencies as designated by the Governor for the purpose of making such recommendations.
(2) The commission shall prepare, review at least biennially, and revise as necessary a preliminary state adult literacy plan for the provision and coordination of adult literacy services.
(3) The commission shall invite appropriate state agencies to review the preliminary plan and shall receive comments in writing.
(4) The commission shall give written consideration to all comments received and specify what changes are being made in the plan in response to comments, and, if changes are not being made, specify the reasons for not changing the plan. A copy of the statements shall be available for public review and provided to those agencies which submitted comments on the plan.
(5) The commission shall submit the preliminary state Adult Literacy Program plan to the Secretary of the Cabinet for Workforce Development.
(6) After approval of the state Adult Literacy Program plan by the secretary, the secretary shall submit the proposed plan to the Governor for approval or disapproval. (18 Ky.R. 578; Am. 1019; eff. 10-6-91.)