780 KAR 3:150. Staff development and in-service.
RELATES TO: KRS 151B.035
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 151B.035(3)(k)
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 151B.035(3)(k) requires the Executive Director of the Office of Career and Technical Education to promulgate comprehensive administrative regulations for full-time and part-time certified and equivalent staff, governing programs to improve the work effectiveness of employees, including staff development. This administrative regulation establishes the requirements for staff development and in service.
Section 1. (1) In-service and staff development activities shall be provided in all schools as specified in the school calendars and scheduled in advance.
(2) The programs shall be designed to improve the work effectiveness of employees.
Section 2. (1) Except as provided in subsection (2) of this section, attendance shall be required for all faculty and administrators at the designated in-services.
(2) Unless the supervisor has given prior approval due to extenuating circumstances, an employee not in attendance shall be placed on leave without pay.
Section 3. In-service and staff development activities shall be developed cooperatively with the faculty and the administration and shall be evaluated on an annual basis.
Section 4. (1) Central office certified and equivalent employees shall be provided staff development programs.
(2) Scheduled in-service workshops or staff development activities shall be planned cooperatively by the administrators and professional employees.
(3) All staff development events shall be announced in advance.
Section 5. (1) Certified and equivalent employees may join professional organizations for their professional improvement.
(2) Dues and related costs shall be the responsibility of the individual teacher.
(3)(a) Two (2) professional days shall be provided to certified and equivalent employees for participation in professional organization meetings without loss of pay or official leave.
(b) These days shall be requested in advance and shall not compromise the efficient operation of the school or programs.
(4) Participation in professional meetings beyond the two (2) days shall require the employee to be on official leave.
Section 6.(1) The executive director or designee may approve certified and equivalent employees to assume regional, state, or national leadership roles in professional organizations for the purposes of additional days on work status.
(2) These requests shall be made in advance.
(3)The maximum number of days shall not exceed fifteen (15) paid days.
(4) The skills and leadership to be developed by the employee shall be considered of value to the organization before approval is granted.
Section 7. (1) Travel reimbursement for an employee participating in staff development or a continuing education activity provided by a professional organization shall be considered on a case-by-case situation.
(2) The employee shall receive prior approval if requesting travel reimbursement.
(3) Travel reimbursement shall be in compliance with 200 KAR 2:006. (17 Ky.R. 750; eff. 10-14-1990; 35 Ky.R. 1877; 2240; eff. 5-1-2009.)