780 KAR 3:140. Certification and professional development requirements.
RELATES TO: KRS 151B.035
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 151B.035(3)(k)
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 151B.035(3)(k) requires the Executive Director of the Office of Career and Technical Education to promulgate comprehensive administrative regulations for full-time and part-time certified and equivalent staff, governing programs to improve the work effectiveness of employees including staff development. This administrative regulation establishes the requirements for certification and professional development.
Section 1. Each certified or equivalent employee in the Office of Career and Technical Education shall meet the requirements for professional education and continuing education established in this administrative regulation, 16 KAR 2:020, and 780 KAR 3:010.
Section 2. (1) An employee shall elect to:
(a) Maintain the certification requirements in effect at initial employment; or
(b)Transfer to current requirements for the position held.
(2) If an employee changes from one (1) position to another position with different requirements, the current requirements governing the new position shall be met.
Section 3. (1) A secondary instructor or school administrator shall be fully certified pursuant to 16 KAR Chapters 2 or 3;
(2) A postsecondary instructor or school administrator shall meet the:
(a) Same requirements established in subsection (1) of this section; or
(b) Initial alternative requirements with professional education commitment as specified in 780 KAR 3:010.
Section 4. An instructor who does not have previous certification and teaching experience shall successfully complete the methods of instruction training offered through the Office of Career and Technical Education prior to teaching students.
Section 5. A new school principal or school director who possess administrative certification but does not have experience in administration shall participate in staff development activities offered through the Office of Career and Technical Education.
Section 6. Principals, guidance counselors, and all other certified and equivalent school personnel shall complete at least twenty-five (25) hours of training annually beginning July 1 of each year.
Section 7. All instructors shall complete at least twenty-five (25) hours of professional development training annually.
(1) An instructor required to meet specific continuing education requirements as a part of the instructor occupational licensure obligation shall earn those hours in accordance with the administrative regulations set by the credentialing body.
(2) These hours, upon completion, shall apply to the twenty-five (25) hour obligation on an hour-for-hour basis beginning July 1 of each year.
Section 8. (1) Except as provided in subsections (2) and (3) of this section, if an employee does not hold a valid certificate, does not complete the requirements for renewal, or does not complete the appropriate continuing education requirements, the employment shall be terminated.
(2) The executive director shall make an exception if the requirements are not met due to personal illness or other just cause beyond the control of the employee.
(3) The employee shall be granted one (1) year in which to comply with the requirement. (17 Ky.R. 749; eff. 10-14-1990; Am. 20 Ky.R. 154; eff. 10-7-1993; 35 Ky.R. 1875; 2239; eff. 5-1-2009.)