750 KAR 2:010. Education Technology Funding Program guidelines.
RELATES TO: KRS 157.615, 157.650, 157.655, 157.660, 157.665
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 157.615, 157.655(3), 157.660(3)
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 157.617(1) authorizes the commission to promulgate administrative regulations necessary for the orderly conduct of its affairs, which includes the education technology funding program. KRS 157.660(3) requires the commission to promulgate administrative regulations by which a district that receives an offer of assistance but does not have the local match shall be able to accumulate a credit for the state offer of assistance for a period not to exceed three (3) years. This administrative regulation establishes the procedures and guidelines for determining the eligibility and level of participation for a local public school district, for making an offer of assistance to a school district, for verifying a local public school district funding match, and for the accumulation of credits by a local public school district that maintains its eligibility.
Section 1. Sources of Local Matching Funds. A local public school district shall match the state offer of assistance from:
(1) Available state, local district, and federal funds not otherwise restricted by the appropriate governing agency;
(2) The proceeds of a revenue bond or note that is:
(a) Issued on behalf of a district to purchase technology equipment supported by the district's general fund; and
(b) To be retired within three (3) years from the date of issuance;
(3) A vendor or third party lender lease;
(4) A grant from a private source;
(5) Interest earned by a district on a school building construction account, if the interest is not already committed for expenditure on the construction project; or
(6) Interest earned on the "Education Technology Fund" account.
Section 2. Offers of Assistance. (1) Funds available within the Education Technology Escrow Account shall be distributed to a local school district for installation of the Kentucky Education Technology System ("KETS") through the cooperative program established by KRS 157.650 to 157.665, and as provided by this section.
(2) Upon certification of the rate of participation to the commission, the commission's executive director shall notify an eligible district in writing of:
(a) The amount the district is entitled to receive; and
(b) The conditions KRS 157.655(1) and 157.660(2) requires the district to meet if it accepts the offer of acceptance.
Section 3. Acceptance of Offers of Assistance. (1) The local board of education shall notify the commission in writing whether it accepts an offer of assistance within sixty (60) days after receipt of the offer of assistance. The local board's response shall indicate how much of the amount of the offer the district plans to accept. If a school district does not have local matching funds available when the commission's offer of assistance is received, the district may accumulate credits for up to three (3) years from the date of the offer of assistance. If a district does not respond within sixty (60) days after receipt of the offer of assistance, it shall be deemed to have rejected the offer of assistance and the amount of the offer shall be redistributed to remaining eligible districts. Upon written request received from a district within the original sixty (60) day period, a single thirty (30) day extension in responding to an offer of assistance shall be granted by the executive director.
(2) The local school district shall provide to the commission a copy of its board's minutes reflecting acceptance of an offer of assistance. Upon acceptance of an offer of assistance, a local school district shall establish an "Education Technology Fund", which shall bear interest on the balance in the fund. The interest received on the fund shall be applied to meet educational technology needs in the school district. The district shall provide the commission evidence certifying that matching funds have been committed. (20 Ky.R. 716; Am. 967; 1617; eff. 11-4-93; 24 Ky.R. 179; 576; eff. 9-4-97; 25 Ky.R. 912; 1878; eff. 2-4-99.)