725 KAR 2:070. Certification renewal of public librarians.
RELATES TO: KRS 171.250, 171.260, 171.270
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 171.250(2), 171.270
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 171.250(2) authorizes the board to establish the requirements for certificate renewals for public librarians. This administrative regulation establishes the requirements for certificate renewals for public librarians.
Section 1. Definitions. (1) "Board" means the Kentucky State Board for the Certification of Librarians.
(2) "Contact hour" means a unit of measuring continuing education training with one (1) hour of training equal to one (1) contact hour.
(3) "Full-time" means working more than 100 hours per month.
(4) "Learning activity" means a class, institute, seminar, or workshop that is planned, coordinated, administered, and evaluated in terms of learning objectives.
(5) "Library information services" mean duties performed by library employees that require special skills and knowledge to be performed properly.
(6) "Professional library association" means an organization of librarians and persons interested in libraries.
Section 2. Required Certification Renewal by Public Library Position. (1) A library director serving a population of more than 15,000 shall renew the professional certificate every five (5) years. 100 contact hours of continuing education shall be accumulated within the five (5) year period.
(2) A library director serving a population of 15,000 and less shall renew at least the paraprofessional certificate every five (5) years. 100 contact hours of continuing education shall be accumulated within the five (5) year period.
(3) An assistant director, bookmobile librarian, branch head, or department head shall renew at least the paraprofessional certificate every five (5) years. 100 contact hours of continuing education shall be accumulated within the five (5) year period.
(4) Any other full-time position providing library information services, as assigned by local library personnel, shall renew the library experience certificate every five (5) years. Fifty (50) contact hours of continuing education shall be accumulated within the five (5) year period.
Section 3. Types of Certificates. The following certificates may be renewed for a period of five (5) years:
(1) Professional Certificate I;
(2) Professional Certificate II;
(3) Professional Certificate III;
(4) Professional Certificate IV;
(5) Paraprofessional Certificate;
(6) Library experience certificate.
Section 4. Sources of Learning Activities that Provide Contact Hours. (1) The board shall accept job-related coursework or continuing education offerings from an institution of higher education as follows:
(f) Lecture series;
(g) Internships; or
(h) Courses taken for academic credit.
(b) Courses taken for academic credit.
(2) The board shall accept activities in a professional library association as follows:
(a) Participation in:
3. Conferences; or
4. Lecture series; or The holding of an association office, with a statement specifying the learning activity and derived educational benefit.
(3) The board shall accept participation in seminars, workshops, conferences, or lecture series sponsored by the Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives.
(4) The board shall accept participation in workshops, lecture series, or training programs that shall be documented as job related. These activities may be sponsored by individual libraries.
(5) The board shall accept self-directed learning activities, beyond expected job duties, as follows:
(a) Writing reviews of library materials or library-related books, articles, or chapters that are published in statewide, regional, or national publications and selected through an editorial process;
(b) Writing or editing an article for a library publication with statewide, regional, or national distribution and selected through and editorial process;
(c) Writing a book on a library-related topic selected for publication by a publishing company and published following an editorial process;
(d) Developing and presenting library-related instructional training for library staff, library school students, or library trustees;
(e) Preparing and teaching a library related course, workshop, seminar, or institute; or
(f) Listening to or viewing an audio or video recording of a job related workshop presentation or conference program and submitting a written review indicating what was learned and how it relates to their job.
(6) The board shall require documentation that each learning activity incorporates new subject matter.
Section 5. (1) The conversion calculations for a type of activity to the number of contact hours shall be determined in accordance with the Certification Contact Hours Points Conversion Chart.
Section 6. Application for public librarian certification renewal shall be made to the board by submitting a completed Renewal Application for Certification of Librarianship.
Section 7. A fee of twenty (20) dollars shall be charged for each certificate renewal issued.
Section 8. Incorporation by Reference. (1) The following material is incorporated by reference:
(a) "Certification Contact Hours Conversion Chart", January 8, 2010; and
(b) "Renewal Application for Certification of Librarianship", December 15, 2008.
(2) This material may be inspected, copied, or obtained, subject to applicable copyright law, at the Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives, 300 Coffee Tree Road, Frankfort, Kentucky 40602-0537, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (18 Ky.R. 3278; Am. 19 Ky.R. 49; eff. 7-4-1992; 26 Ky.R. 899; 1159; eff. 12-16-1999; 36 Ky.R. 1337; 2061-M; eff. 4-2-2010.)