705 KAR 2:140. Equalization of funding for locally-operated area vocational centers and vocational departments.
RELATES TO: KRS 157.069
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 157.069
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: 2000 Ky. Acts ch. 549, Part IX, 14d requires that all funds appropriated by the General Assembly to support locally-operated area vocational centers and vocational departments be distributed by a weighted funding formula that is based on the cost of programs and the full-time equivalent (FTE) student enrollments. This administrative regulation establishes the formula and process for distribution of appropriated funds to local school districts operating area vocational centers and vocational departments.
Section 1. Definitions. (1) "Area vocational center and vocational department" means a facility which is established for vocational technical education pursuant to 705 KAR 3:141.
(2) "Career orientation and exploration" means a vocational technical program in which students gain knowledge and experience regarding career orientation of an occupational area and basic technical skills used within the occupational area.
(3) "High-cost technical skill" means a vocational technical program in which:
(a) Students develop highly technical skills focused in a specific occupational area; and
(b) High-cost equipment, materials, and facilities are required for the instructional program.
(4) "Technical skill program" means a vocational technical program in which:
(a) Students develop technical skills focused in an occupational area; and
(b) Low cost technical equipment, including computers and other portable equipment, are required for the instructional program.
Section 2. The Department of Education, in consultation with the Department for Technical Education, shall classify secondary vocational technical programs as career orientation and exploration, technical skill, or high-cost technical skill programs.
Section 3. The full-time equivalent (FTE) student enrollment shall equal the total number of students enrolled in technical skill and high-cost technical skill programs statewide, multiplied by the number of hours students are enrolled (divided by two (2) if semester courses) divided by six (6) (hours per instructional day). The value of the weight shall equal the total funding allocation from the General Assembly for the fiscal year divided by the weighted total FTE for technical skill and high-cost technical programs, with technical skill programs weighted one (1) and high-cost technical skill programs weighted one and one-half (1.5).
Section 4. A school district with an approved locally-operated vocational center or department shall receive a funding allocation equal to the total of the number of FTE students in technical skill programs multiplied by the value of the weight for these programs, plus the total of the number of FTE students in high-cost technical skill programs, multiplied by the value of the weight for these programs.
Section 5. (1) The Department of Education shall notify a local school district of its tentative allocation for operation of its locally-operated vocational center and vocational department for the following school year by June 30 based on the classification of the previous year’s secondary vocational program offerings and program FTE enrollment.
(2) The final allocation shall be determined by January 1 based on current year FTE enrollment with adjustments made for new programs.
(3) A school district shall notify the Department of Education, Division of Secondary Vocational Education, by April 1 if it plans to add or delete any program the following school year. (27 Ky.R. 884; Am. 1260; eff. 11-17-2000.)