704 KAR 3:510. Advanced placement.
RELATES TO: KRS 158.007, 158.622, 158.6451, 160.348
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 158.622(1), 156.070(5)
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 158.622(1) requires the Kentucky Board of Education to promulgate an administrative regulation establishing the criteria a school shall meet in order to designate a course an advanced placement course, including content and program standards concerning student admission criteria, data collection, and reporting. This administrative regulation establishes those criteria.
Section 1. Criteria for Designating a Course Advanced Placement. A school may designate a course as advanced placement if it meets all of the following criteria:
(1) The course is identified as an advanced placement course by the college board;
(2) The course includes the content as described in the college board overview, description, and recommended course syllabus for the appropriate course;
(3) The course is aligned with Kentucky’s Academic Expectations as established in KRS 158.6451 and Kentucky’s Program of Studies as established in 704 KAR 3:303; and
(4) The course prepares a student to take and be successful on the appropriate advanced placement examination administered by the college board.
Section 2. Program Standards for Student Admission Criteria. Each high school school-based decision making council, or the principal if none exists, shall establish a policy on the recruitment and assignment of students to advanced placement courses. The policy shall:
(1) Provide equitable access for participation in advanced placement courses for all students using either or both on-site instruction or electronic instruction, including the Kentucky Virtual High School;
(2) Provide for sharing information with all students through the individual graduation plan process as established in 704 KAR 3:305 and other means regarding the benefits of taking advanced placement courses and advanced placement examinations including the potential for earning college credit;
(3) Establish an equitable process for recruitment of underrepresented students in advanced placement courses including:
(a) Racial minorities;
(b) Students with limited English proficiency;
(c) Students who qualify for free and reduced lunch;
(d) Students with disabilities; and
(e) Males or females;
(4) Provide for the assignment to advanced placement courses teachers certified in the appropriate content area and prepared through professional development to teach the advanced placement course.
Section 3. Data Collection and Reporting. Information about advanced placement classes offered and student performance shall be reported on the expanded school report card as required in 703 KAR 5:140. Data shall be used to make revisions to the comprehensive school improvement plan. (29 Ky.R. 1916, Am. 2289, eff. 3-19-2003).