704 KAR 3:420. Preschool associate teachers.
RELATES TO: 156.160, 157.3175
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 156.070, 156.160, 157.3175
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 156.160 authorizes the Kentucky Board of Education to promulgate administrative regulations establishing standards which school districts shall meet in student, program, service and operational performance. KRS 157.3175 authorizes preschool education programs and authorizes that administrative regulations be promulgated to establish eligibility criteria, program guidelines, and standards for personnel. This administrative regulation establishes the criteria for paraprofessional instructional personnel, including a differentiated job description from certified teachers, qualifications for the position, and responsibilities for certified personnel providing supervision of preschool associate teachers.
Section 1. Definitions. (1) "Curriculum oversight" means supervision of a preschool associate teacher by a qualified professional.
(2) "Preschool associate teacher" means a classified employee employed by a local school district in a paraprofessional role to organize, manage and provide direct instruction to children below primary school age under the supervision of a qualified professional.
(3) "Qualified professional" means a person who:
(a) Meets one (1) of the criteria established in Section 3(2) of this administrative regulation; and
(b) Is responsible for the curriculum in an early childhood classroom or program operated by a paraprofessional preschool associate teacher.
Section 2. Role of a Preschool Associate Teacher. (1) A local school district may employ a preschool associate teacher to do the following:
(a) Manage the daily operation of preschool classrooms or other early childhood programs:
(b) Provide direct instruction to children based on identified skills:
(c) Assist in assessing the skills of individual children;
(d) Assist in implementing individual education programs (IEP's) of children with disabilities; and
(e) Provide parent information on progress of individual children.
(2) A preschool associate teacher shall receive at least weekly contact and consultation by a qualified professional regarding the classroom, the curriculum and the teacher performance standards in interdisciplinary early childhood education established in 704 KAR 20:084.
(a) The qualified professional shall determine a regular schedule for onsite visits and observation no less than monthly and based on the skills and experience of the preschool associate teacher. Additional onsite contact and consultation for individual children with disabilities shall be provided as specified in the IEP.
(b) The activities of the preschool associate teacher shall reflect the guidance of the professional assigned to provide curriculum oversight.
Section 3. Qualifications. (1) A preschool associate teacher shall hold one (1) of the following or its equivalent as approved by the Department of Education:
(a) An associate degree with a professional core of courses in early childhood education or child development;
(b) A child development associate certificate conferred by the Council for Early Childhood Professional Recognition; or
(c) A Kentucky vocational diploma for preschool teacher.
(2) A local board may request approval of a preschool associate teacher who has begun and is in the process of completing a degree, diploma or certificate specified in subsection (1) of this section.
(3) Curriculum oversight shall be provided by an individual who meets one (1) of the following criteria:
(a) Holds certification or a statement of eligibility for interdisciplinary early childhood education;
(b) Has been exempted by the Kentucky Education Professional Standards Board from additional certification in order to continue teaching in an early childhood position;
(c) Provided supervision to a preschool Level III teachers under the interim requirements in 704 KAR 3:410 prior to the 1999-2000 school year; or
(d) Is qualified to serve on an internship team for interns in Interdisciplinary Early Childhood Education pursuant to 704 KAR 20:690. (25 Ky.R. 2244; Am. 2986; eff. 6-7-99.)