RELATES TO: KRS 157.320, 157.350, 158.060, 158.070, 2010 ES Acts ch. 1, Part I,C,3(17)
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: 2010 ES Ky. Acts ch. 1, Part I,C,3(17)
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: 2010 Extra. Sess. Ky. Acts ch. 1, Part I,C,3(17) requires the Kentucky Board of Education to establish by administrative regulation procedures by which the Commissioner of Education may approve innovative alternative school calendars, prior to the approval of school calendars for fiscal year 2010-2011. This administrative regulation establishes uniform procedures for approval of innovative alternative calendars.
Section 1. (1)(a) A local board of education may request approval of an innovative alternative school calendar for the 2010-2011 school year or the 2011-2012 school year by submitting a written request to the Commissioner of Education.
(b) All calendars that contain less than 170 six (6) hour instructional days shall be considered innovative alternate calendars and shall be submitted to the Commissioner of Education for approval.
(2) The request shall:
(a) Be signed by the superintendent and board of education chairperson;
(b) Contain a specific explanation of the reason for the request; and
(c) Include the following information:
1. How the alternative calendar will improve teaching and learning in the district;
2. How 1,062 hours of instruction will be included in the calendar;
3. The structure of any instructional days that are less than six-hours in length; and
4. A description of how the alternative calendar will provide for professional learning situations designed to improve instructional practices that will enhance student learning.
Section 2. (1) A request for approval of an innovative alternative school calendar shall be submitted to the Commissioner of Education no later than June 30 preceding the school year for which the request is submitted.
(2) The commissioner shall approve the request upon a determination that:
(a) The requirements established in Section 1(2) of this administrative regulation have been met; and
(b) The alternative calendar is designed to improve teaching and learning in the district.
This is to certify that the chief state school officer has reviewed and recommended this administrative regulation prior to its adoption by the Kentucky Board of Education, as required by KRS 156.070(4). (35 Ky.R. 483; Am. 1461; eff. 1-5-2009; 37 Ky.R. 969; 10-6-2010.)