702 KAR 5:150. Transportation of preschool children.
RELATES TO: KRS 156.160, 157.226, 157.3175, 189.540
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 156.160, 189.540
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 156.150 requires the Kentucky Board of Education (KBE) to promulgate administrative regulations regarding the transportation of children to and from school. KRS 189.540 requires the KBE to promulgate administrative regulations to govern the design and operation of Kentucky school buses. This administrative regulation provides school districts with guidelines necessary to provide transportation for preschool children.
Section 1. (1) A local board of education shall require each school bus transporting three (3) and four (4) year old children to be staffed with a minimum of one (1) driver assistant who is qualified and trained to assist in the transportation of three (3) and four (4) year old children by a certified local board of education school bus driver training instructor. If the driver assistant is not a volunteer and is to receive pay or other remuneration for serving as a driver assistant or school bus monitor, the employed driver assistant shall be at least sixteen (16) years of age.
(2) The driver training instructor shall qualify the driver assistant with training in student entrance of bus, student exiting from bus, safety rules of transportation, first aid as it pertains to emergency and immediate care, emergency evacuation, and student management as it relates to seated positions and seat occupancy.
(3) The Division of Pupil Transportation of the Department of Education shall provide the curriculum for driver assistant training.
(4) The number of assistants required for any one (1) school bus shall be recommended to the superintendent by the driver training instructor or the transportation director.
(5) Liability insurance shall be provided for the driver assistant as a named insured.
Section 2. It shall be the responsibility of the parent, guardian, or person authorized by the parent of a preschool child to provide safe supervision to and from the bus stop and delivery to and receipt from the driver assistant.
Section 3. (1) A driver assistant shall be responsible to deliver and receive the child safely to and from the parent, guardian or person authorized by the parent in writing. Three (3) and four (4) year old children who cross a roadway shall be escorted by the driver assistant.
(2) A three (3) or four (4) year old child shall not be left unattended at the time of delivery.
(3) If the parent, guardian or a person authorized by the parent to accept the child is not present upon delivery, the child shall be taken to a prearranged location. (17 Ky.R. 693; eff. 12-7-90; Am. 18 Ky.R. 481; eff. 10-6-91; 20 Ky.R. 2361; eff. 3-23-94; 23 Ky.R. 2268; 2821; eff. 2-6-97; 29 Ky.R. 1348; 1792; eff. 1-16-2003.)