702 KAR 3:250. Preschool grant allocations.
RELATES TO: KRS 156.160, 157.226, 157.3175
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 156.070, 156.160, 157.226, 157.3175
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 156.160 authorizes the State Board for Elementary and Secondary Education to adopt administrative regulations establishing standards which school districts shall meet in student, program, service and operational performance; KRS 157.226 authorizes preschool programs and related services for handicapped children who are three (3) or four (4) years of age or who may become age five (5) after October 1 of the current year and authorizes the State Board for Elementary and Secondary Education to promulgate administrative regulations regarding the use of funds; and KRS 157.3175 authorizes preschool education programs for four (4) year old children who are at risk of educational failure and authorizes the State Board for Elementary and Secondary Education to establish a grant allocation system. This administrative regulation is necessary to implement those state board duties.
Section 1. Preschool Programs. For the purposes of this administrative regulation, the term "preschool programs" refers to the two (2) educational programs established in the KRS 157.226 and 157.3175 for children below primary school age; the preschool program for handicapped children and the preschool education program for four (4) year old children.
Section 2. Funding Eligibility. (1) Children eligible to be counted for funding purposes for the preschool program for four (4) year old children shall include only those children who are at risk of educational failure and who meet the criteria set forth in 704 KAR 3:410, Section 1(1).
(2) Children eligible to be counted for funding purposes for the preschool program for handicapped children shall include only those children who meet the criteria set forth in 707 KAR 1:150, Section 1(2).
(3) A child who meets the eligibility criteria under both subsections (1) and (2) of this section shall be included in only one (1) of these two (2) groups for purposes of generating funds under these preschool programs.
(4) Eligible children who are enrolled by parent choice in other preschool programs providing nonsupplemental educational services through state or federal funds at no cost to parents shall not be included in the count of eligible children used to generate funds under these preschool programs.
Section 3. Enrollment Data. (1) Funds for districts shall be allotted based on the number of eligible children as defined in Section 2 of this administrative regulation who are enrolled in the district's preschool programs on December 1 of the previous year. Program funding shall be adjusted proportionately when the enrollment on December 1 of the current year is more than five (5) percent above or below the number of children served on December 1 of the previous year.
(2) If there are available funds after districts have been allotted funds to serve all eligible enrolled children through the state funds appropriated, then the remaining funds may be prorated to those districts that transport eligible children who are enrolled in Head Start, up to the amount per child allowed for transportation in Section 5 of this administrative regulation.
Section 4. Use of Funds. (1) Appropriations to the local school district for the preschool programs shall be separate and apart from all other funds appropriated to the local school district.
(2) Use of the funds appropriated for the preschool programs shall be limited to activities for the implementation of these programs, pursuant to 704 KAR 3:410, 707 KAR 1:150, and the district's application for the preschool programs.
Section 5. Formula. (1) The Department of Education shall annually recommend a preschool allocation formula to the State Board for Elementary and Secondary Education for review and approval. The allocation formula shall specify the amount of funds to be allocated for each eligible child.
(2) If the state funds appropriated are not sufficient, the funding formula shall be adjusted proportionately. (18 Ky.R. 220; Am. 686; eff. 9-6-91; 19 Ky.R. 512; eff. 10-1-92.)