702 KAR 1:035. Group health and life insurance.
RELATES TO: KRS 161.158
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 156.070, 161.159
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 161.158 authorizes local boards of education to administer group insurance coverage for its employees. KRS 161.159 requires the Kentucky Board of Education to promulgate an administrative regulation to implement the life insurance program for local school district employees. This administrative regulation establishes requirements for Department of Education administration of the group health and life insurance programs for certified and noncertified employees of local boards of education and interlocal educational cooperatives.
Section 1. Definitions. (1) "Blended employee" means an employee having:
(a) The expectation that he is to be employed for the full school term (or the remainder of the school term) as defined in KRS 158.070 in a position with no state certification required;
(b) The expectation that also he is to be employed for the full school term (or the remainder of the school term) as established in KRS 158.070 in a position with state certification required;
(c) A combined work hours requirement equal to a minimum of seventy (70) percent of the school day or month as established in KRS 158.060; and
(d) Status as a beneficiary or participant in either of the two (2) retirement systems, CERS or KTRS.
(2) "Interlocal educational cooperative" means two (2) or more local boards of education governed by an interlocal cooperation agreement described in KRS 65.210 through 65.300 and formed to make educational programs and services more efficiently and effectively available to boards of education on a multidistrict basis.
(3) "Regular, full-time, certified employee" means an employee with the expectation that he is to perform duties for the full school term (or the remainder of the school term) as established in KRS 158.070, and the employment will not require less than seventy (70) percent of the school day or school month as defined in KRS 158.060.
(4) "Regular, full-time, noncertified employee" means an employee having the expectation that he is to be employed for the full school term (or the remainder of the school term) as established in KRS 158.070, and whose assignments require a minimum of eighty (80) hours per school month as established in KRS 158.060.
(5) "Unpaid leave" means leave time without pay beginning the first day of the month following an employee’s last paid working day.
Section 2. Group health coverage shall consist of a single contract or the single contract dollar equivalent applied to any alternate plans of coverage contained in the master contracts between the Commonwealth and the carriers.
Section 3. Group life insurance coverage shall consist of benefit amounts as specified in the master contract between the Commonwealth and the carrier.
Section 4. (1) Regular full-time certified, noncertified, and blended employees shall be eligible for state contribution for health and life insurance premiums unless they are on leave without pay from the local educational agency or interlocal cooperative.
(2) For purposes of administration of the group health and life insurance programs for local school district employees:
(a) Leave without pay shall include unpaid leave, unpaid sick leave, unpaid educational leave, and unpaid leave while receiving Workers' Compensation benefits; and
(b) Unpaid leave shall include the beginning of the first day of the month following an employee's last paid working day.
(3) An employee on leave without pay shall not be eligible for state contribution for health and life premiums until the employee has actively returned to work from leave.
(4) An employee who has actively returned to work shall be eligible for state contribution for health and life premiums when he returns to work at least one (1) day of the next consecutive month after being on leave without pay.
Section 5. The extent of eligibility for state contribution for health and life insurance premiums shall be based upon the extent to which a position is funded with state or local (nonfederal) funds.
Section 6. A local board of education or interlocal educational cooperative shall provide the Department of Education accurate employment data on covered employees on a month-to-month basis. (3 Ky.R. 567; eff. 3-2-77; Am. 6 Ky.R. 495; eff. 5-7-80; 17 Ky.R. 423; eff. 10-14-90; 18 Ky.R. 3518; 19 Ky.R. 392; 1081; eff. 11-9-92; 28 Ky.R. 2442; 29 Ky.R. 107; eff. 7-15-2002.)