603 KAR 5:240. Naming of roads and bridges.
RELATES TO: KRS 177.074
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 177.074
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 177.074 allows roads and bridges to be named after an individual, historic event or any other name of historical significance. This administrative regulation sets forth the steps to be followed when petitioning the transportation secretary requesting a road or bridge name. It further sets forth the standards for design and placement of signs denoting the name of the road or bridge.
Section 1. A person, organization or governmental unit who is petitioning the transportation cabinet to name a road segment or bridge shall submit the petition in writing. The petition shall contain at least the following information:
(1) Exact identification and location of the road segment or bridge;
(2) Specific civic or historic significance of the proposed name;
(3) Identification of the petitioner including spokesperson's name, address, telephone number and position with organization or government unit; and
(4) A statement of whether the petitioner wishes to reimburse the transportation cabinet for preparation and erection of the commemorative signs or wishes to prepare signs and place them as approved by the department of highways.
(5) Summary of the results of a public comment hearing held on the petition by the petitioner or a unit of local government.
Section 2. If a bridge is on a road segment which has been given a special name, the transportation secretary shall not approve a different name for the bridge. However, the commemorative signs on bridges which are in place on July 13, 1990 shall not be removed.
Section 3. The Department of Highways shall on limited access highways continue to identify the crossroads by highway number. Only when the name of the road has come into significant local use and when there is sufficient space on a sign may the name also be included.
Section 4. In order for the Secretary of Transportation to be convinced of the civic or historical significance of the person or events for which a petitioner wants a road or bridge named, the secretary shall notify each jurisdictional unit of local government of the petition. He shall request a resolution from each unit of government indicating its support or nonsupport for the petition.
Section 5. (1) If the transportation secretary agrees to name a highway segment or bridge, he shall offer to prepare and erect all signs and charge the petitioner only the actual cost of the preparation and installation of the signs.
(2) If the transportation secretary agrees to name a highway segment or bridge and the petitioner does not accept the offer from subsection (1) of this section, the petitioner shall cooperate with the jurisdictional highway district office to ensure that the signs are designed in good taste and safely erected, and in accordance with the provisions of the "Manual On Uniform Traffic Control Devices" adopted in 603 KAR 5:050.
(3) Except under unusual circumstances, there shall only be two (2) signs erected, one (1) at each end of the road segment or bridge. (17 Ky.R. 691; Am. 1352; eff. 10-2-90.)