603 KAR 5:077. Motor vehicles prohibited on Louisville Hill, Frankfort.
RELATES TO: KRS 189.231
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 189.231
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 189.231 authorizes the Secretary of Transportation to restrict or regulate traffic on state-maintained highways in a manner as is reasonably necessary to promote the safety and convenience of the traveling public. The purpose of this administrative regulation is to promote the public safety by restricting and regulating the use of a portion of a state-maintained highway by certain types of motor vehicles and by motor vehicles hauling hazardous materials.
Section 1. Definitions. (1) "Flammable material" means liquid or gaseous petroleum products.
(2) "Hazardous material" means a substance or material defined as or meeting the criteria of a hazardous material by KRS Chapter 174 or 601 KAR 1:025.
(3) "Motor vehicle combination" means a motor vehicle of any type or size operated in combination with any trailer or towed load.
Section 2. Prohibited Vehicles. The following vehicles shall be prohibited from operating eastbound on US 60 between Leawood Drive and KY 1211 (Taylor Avenue) within the city of Frankfort:
(1) Any motor vehicle with more than two (2) axles;
(2) Any motor vehicle having a licensed gross weight or total gross weight in excess of 18,000 pounds;
(3) Any motor vehicle combination;
(4) Any motor vehicle transporting flammable or hazardous material; and
(5) Any motor vehicle upon which wrecker cranes or other equipment suitable for wrecker service have been mounted while that motor vehicle has a vehicle in tow.
Section 3. Exceptions. Exceptions to the prohibition set forth in Section 2 of this administrative regulation shall be the following:
(1) Emergency vehicles responding to emergencies;
(2) Utility company vehicles responding to emergencies; and
(3) Highway maintenance or construction equipment operating in response to emergency road conditions or performing maintenance, construction, or reconstruction operations on Lafayette Drive or the section of US 60 normally prohibited to those vehicles. (7 Ky.R. 521; eff. 1-6-81; Am. 16 Ky.R. 1247; eff. 2-3-90.)