601 KAR 12:020. Expired, transferred, or suspended driver's license; retesting requirements.
RELATES TO: KRS 186.401, 186.412, 186.440(8), 186.480
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 186.400(1)
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: This administrative regulation requires a driver whose Kentucky driver's license has been expired or whose driving privilege has been withdrawn for a period in excess of one (1) year to demonstrate pursuant to KRS 186.480 that he is able to safely operate a motor vehicle. It establishes that the testing provisions of KRS 186.480 may be waived for a Kentucky resident who holds a valid driver's license issued by another jurisdiction and who is applying to transfer his driver's license to Kentucky. It further requires proof that a driving privilege withdrawal period has ended prior to licensing.
Section 1. (1) Any person whose driving privilege has been expired for a period in excess of one (1) year shall be required to comply with KRS 186.480(1) as a part of the process for applying for restoration of his driving privilege.
(2) A person whose Kentucky driver's license has been expired for a period of one (1) year shall make application for renewal pursuant to KRS 186.412.
Section 2. Testing pursuant to KRS 186.480 may be waived for the following Kentucky driver's license applicants:
(1) A Kentucky resident with a valid driver's license issued by another licensing jurisdiction; and
(2) A person whose Kentucky driving privilege has been withdrawn, suspended, or revoked for a period of one (1) year or less.
Section 3. A person whose driving privilege has been withdrawn, denied, suspended, cancelled, or revoked in any state or licensing jurisdiction shall not be issued a Kentucky driver's license until proof of clearance or termination of the driving privilege withdrawal from the state or licensing jurisdiction withdrawing the driving privilege has been submitted to the Transportation Cabinet.
Section 4. This administrative regulation shall not validate:
(1) A driver's license which has expired; or
(2) Driving privilege which has been withdrawn, denied, suspended, canceled, or revoked. (PSfty-DL-1; 1 Ky.R. 1038; eff. 6-11-75; 14 Ky.R. 485; eff. 10-2-87; 23 Ky.R. 2855; eff. 3-4-97.)