601 KAR 9:012. Personalized license plates.
RELATES TO: KRS 186.174
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 186.174
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 186.174 empowers the Transportation Cabinet to adopt administrative regulations to establish a program for the issuance of a personalized license plate. This administrative regulation implement the provisions of KRS 186.174.
Section 1. An application for a personalized license plate shall be submitted on the form and in the manner specified in Section 11 of 601 KAR 9:130.
Section 2. (1) If more than one (1) application is received by the cabinet requesting the same combination of letters of the alphabet or Arabic numerals, the application received first is the one which the cabinet shall accept and issue a personalized license plate based thereon.
(2) In order to establish the time of receipt each application shall immediately be time-stamped. This time-stamp shall also be used by the cabinet to determine whether the application was timely received.
Section 3. A personalized plate shall not be placed on a motor vehicle other than the one for which it was issued.
Section 4. (1) A personalized plate shall be obtained from the county clerk of the county in which the applicant is required to register his vehicle.
(2) If an applicant moves to another county prior to the time he would be required to obtain his personalized plate:
(a) The applicant shall notify the cabinet of the new county of residence; and
(b) The cabinet shall forward his personalized plate to the clerk of his new county of residence.
(3) If an applicant moves to another county after the time he would be required to obtain his personalized plate, he shall notify the following:
(a) The cabinet;
(b) The county clerk of his new county of residence; and
(c) The county clerk of his former county of residence.
(4) The county clerk of the applicant's former county of residence shall, upon notification, forward the plate to the applicant's new county of residence.
Section 5. (1) If a personalized plate is issued through oversight or any other reason which carries letter or number combinations offensive to good taste and decency, it shall be recalled by the cabinet and a regular registration license plate issued under KRS 186.050(1) shall be obtained by the owner of the motor vehicle and placed on the vehicle.
(2) If the personalized plate is recalled, the twenty-five (25) dollar fee shall be refunded.
Section 6. If a personalized plate is not renewed before September 1 of the year preceding that in which it was to be issued, the cabinet shall not issue a plate bearing the same letter or number combinations for one (1) year and then only upon proper application. (3 Ky.R. 186; eff. 9-1-76; Am. 14 Ky.R. 250; eff. 9-10-87; 20 Ky.R. 414; eff. 10-5-93.)