600 KAR 2:030. Toll road credit cards.
RELATES TO: KRS 175.450(4), 175.470, 175.520, 175.525(1)
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 175.525(1)
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: Tolls are charged on Kentucky's turnpike or toll road system in accordance with 600 KAR 2:010. KRS 175.525(1) requires either the Turnpike Authority or the Transportation Cabinet to issue a toll road identification card to paying credit card account holders. The Transportation Cabinet has promulgated this administrative regulation to establish eligibility criteria for a toll road credit card account, the application, the billing procedures, and the account termination.
Section 1. Application for a Commercial Toll Road Credit Card. (1) A nongovernmental agency or business applicant for a commercial toll road credit card account shall submit a completed form TC 34-39, "Application for Commercial Credit Card Account" to the Transportation Cabinet.
(2) An applicant for an individual toll road credit card account shall submit a completed form TC 34-40, "Individual Application for Credit Card Account" to the Transportation Cabinet.
Section 2. Credit References. (1) An applicant for a toll road credit card account shall list the following credit references on the application:
(a) Three (3) or more businesses; and
(b) One (1) or more banks.
(2) Upon receipt of the completed application, the Transportation Cabinet shall request a credit status from each company and bank cited as a reference.
(3) A positive credit status shall be required from a minimum of:
(a) Three (3) businesses; and
(b) One (1) bank.
(4) If a negative report is received, the cabinet may deny a credit card account although the requirements of subsection (3) of this section are met.
(5) If an applicant is a trucking company, in addition to references, it shall:
(a) Submit its:
1. U.S. Department of Transportation number; or
2. Kentucky intrastate identifier number;
(b) Have a satisfactory safety rating; and
(c) Not be delinquent in payment of its highway use taxes.
Section 3. Bill and Payment. (1) An active toll road credit account shall be sent an itemized bill by the Transportation Cabinet on a monthly basis.
(2) The payment due date shall be included on the billing. The payment due date shall be at least twenty-five (25) days from the date the bill is mailed to the credit account customer.
(3) The credit account customer shall pay his bill on or before the due date.
(4) If the credit account customer is delinquent in paying his bill:
(a) A surcharge of five (5) percent of the amount owed the Transportation Cabinet each month shall be added to the bill; and
(b) The credit account may be cancelled.
(5) If a credit account customer's payment check is returned to the Transportation Cabinet for insufficient funds:
(a) The account shall be cancelled immediately; and
(b) A fifteen (15) dollar fee shall be assessed the account holder for each returned check.
(6) After cancellation of a credit account, the credit account customer may apply in writing for reinstatement of his account. Reinstatement shall be at the sole discretion of the Transportation Cabinet.
(7) The Transportation Cabinet shall actively pursue collection of a delinquent account.
Section 4. Credit Account Cards. (1) By November 1st, the Transportation Cabinet's Division of Toll Facilities shall notify a credit account holder that the current credit card:
(a) Shall expire on the following February 1st; and
(b) May be renewed by remitting to the Transportation Cabinet the five (5) dollar fee, as authorized by KRS 175.525(1).
(2) Prior to January 1st, a credit account customer renewing its account shall:
(a) Notify the Division of Toll Facilities of the number of credit cards needed for that year;
(b) Surrender a surplus card;
(c) Request additional cards, if needed; and
(d) Remit the five (5) dollar fee, as required by KRS 175.525(1).
Section 5. Lost, Stolen, or Canceled Credit Cards. (1) A credit account customer shall:
(a) Immediately notify the Division of Toll Facilities upon discovering that a card is lost or stolen;
(b) Be responsible for a toll charge made on his account, until the Division of Toll Facilities receives notice that a card has been lost or stolen; and
(c) Be responsible for the cost of replacing a lost or stolen card.
(2) The division shall immediately cancel a card upon receiving notice that is has been lost or stolen.
(3) The cabinet may cancel a credit card account for failure to comply with the requirements of this administrative regulation.
(4) If a credit card is canceled for failure to comply with this administrative regulation, the account holder shall immediately return the card to the Division of Toll Facilities.
Section 6. Kentucky State Government, Local Government, and Federal Government Agencies. (1) A state, local or federal government agency may apply for a toll road credit account.
(2) Application for the account shall be made on form TC 34-123, "Application for State Agency, Federal, or Local Government Credit Card Account".
(3) Payment of the five (5) dollar annual fee per credit card and the charges incurred by the use of the credit card on toll roads by a state agency shall be by interaccount electronic transfer of funds.
(4) Payment of the five (5) dollar annual fee per credit card and the charge incurred by the use of the credit card on toll roads by a local government agency shall be paid on or before the due date shown on the invoice.
Section 7. United States Military or Special Procession Card Account. (1) Every vehicle in a United States military or other convoy or procession shall pay the toll at the toll collection station.
(2) A convoy or procession may apply for a special procession credit card.
(3) Each vehicle of a convoy or procession may pass through a toll collection station using one (1) credit card.
Section 8. (1) The following material is incorporated by reference:
(a) Form TC 34-39, "Application for Commercial Credit Card Account", (October 1996 edition), Transportation Cabinet;
(b) Form TC 34-40, "Application for Individual Credit Card Account", (October 1996 edition), Transportation Cabinet; and
(c) Form TC 34-123, "Application for State Agency or Local Government Credit Card Account", (October 1996 edition), Transportation Cabinet.
(2) This material may be inspected, copied, or obtained from the Transportation Cabinet, Division of Toll Facilities, 643 Teton Trail, Frankfort, Kentucky 40622, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (11 Ky.R. 1099; eff. 3-12-85; Am. 14 Ky.R. 245; eff. 9-10-87; 23 Ky.R. 2853; 3345; eff. 3-4-97.)