503 KAR 5:080. Definitions.
RELATES TO: KRS 15.410-15.510
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 15.450(1)
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: This administrative regulation provides definitions of certain terms as used in 503 KAR Chapter 5, which pertains to the Law Enforcement Program Foundation Fund. This administrative regulation also repeals the administrative regulations previously in this chapter.
Section 1. Definitions. The following definitions shall apply in this chapter:
(1) "Cabinet" means the Kentucky Justice Cabinet.
(2) "Secretary" means the Secretary of the Kentucky Justice Cabinet.
(3) "Council" means the Kentucky Law Enforcement Council as established in KRS 15.315.
(4) "Fund" means the Law Enforcement Foundation Program Fund of the Kentucky Justice Cabinet as established in KRS 15.430.
(5) "Fund administrator" means the person responsible for administering the fund. KRS 15.450(1) provides that the fund shall be administered by the secretary or his designated representative.
(6) "Salary supplement funds" means money disbursed from the fund to local units of government for salary supplement purposes. A "salary supplement" is the fund money disbursed by a local unit of government to an individual police officer.
(7) "Local unit" means the local unit of government of any city or county, or any combination of cities and counties of the Commonwealth.
(8) "Police officer" means a "full-time member" (defined in subsection (9) of this section) of a "lawfully organized police department" (defined in subsection (11) of this section) of county, urban-county, or city government who is responsible for the prevention and detection of crime and the enforcement of the general criminal laws of the state, but does not include Kentucky State Police, any elected officer, sheriff, deputy sheriff, constable, deputy constable, district detective, deputy district detective, special local peace officer, auxiliary police officer or any other peace officer not specifically authorized in KRS 15.410 to 15.510.
(9) "Full-time member" means a sworn police officer who is paid a salary by the local unit for "working regularly" (defined in subsection (10) of this section) as a law enforcement officer.
(10) "Working regularly" means the officer is working a minimum of forty (40) hours a week according to a uniform weekly schedule that is standard for police officers employed by that employing agency. No local unit shall arrange, by reduction of weekly hours or otherwise, the employment of a person who is otherwise considered a police officer so as to subvert the intent and purpose of KRS 15.410 to 15.510 or these administrative regulations.
(11) "Lawfully organized police department" means a law enforcement unit organized in accordance with statutory authority, and one which has a separate and identifiable physical and management identity from other law enforcement units, including a separate chief. (11 Ky.R. 1545; Am. 1778; eff. 5-14-85.)