503 KAR 4:040. Required instructor training.
RELATES TO: KRS 237.110, 237.120, 237.122, 237.124, 237.136
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 237.120(1), 237.122(1)
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 237.120(1) and 237.122(1) require the department to operate and maintain a program for firearms instructor trainers and firearms instructors for the concealed deadly weapon training program. This administrative regulation establishes the training required for certification as a firearms instructor or firearms instructor trainer.
Section 1. An applicant training course student shall complete an "Applicant Request for Training for License to Carry Concealed Deadly Weapons", Form #126-A, which shall include a statement acknowledging receipt of copies of pertinent sections of KRS Chapters 237, 527, and 503.
Section 2. A firearms instructor or instructor trainer course shall include:
(1) Fourteen (14) hours of classroom instruction covering at least the following topics:
(a) By means of a videotape produced by the department:
1. The requirements for obtaining a concealed deadly weapons license in Kentucky;
2. Sections of KRS Chapters 237 and 527 that relate to firearms; and
3. Sections of KRS Chapter 503 relating to the justifiable use of force;
(b) The conduct of applicant training courses;
(c) Recordkeeping requirements of this administrative regulation;
(d) The basic nomenclature of handguns;
(e) The basic principles of marksmanship; and
(f) The safe handling of handguns;
(2) A classroom demonstration, during which the instructor candidate shall receive instruction on and demonstrate competency in the ability to prepare and deliver a classroom presentation using materials from the applicant curriculum; and
(3) Range instruction and firing of live ammunition, during which the instructor candidate shall receive instruction on and demonstrate competency in the ability to:
(a) Handle and fire a handgun safely and accurately;
(b) Conduct a function test and safety inspection of common types of handguns;
(c) Clean and care for common types of handguns; and
(d) Supervise and conduct live firing exercises in a safe and efficient manner.
Section 3. To qualify as a certified firearms instructor or an instructor trainer, the instructor candidate shall achieve:
(1) A minimum score of seventy (70) percent on a written examination covering the material taught during the classroom portion of the course;
(2) A minimum score of eighty (80) percent on range firing of a handgun, without receiving any assistance in holding, aiming, or firing by any other person, from a safe position while aiming at a B-21 PC silhouette target or an equivalent target approved by the department, with a minimum of:
(a) Ten (10) rounds from seven (7) yards; and
(b) Ten (10) rounds from fifteen (15) yards; and
(3) A score of "passing" from the course instructor for demonstrating competency in each of the following:
(a) Supervising and conducting live fire;
(b) Cleaning and inspecting handguns; and
(c) Preparing and delivering the classroom lecture. The lecture shall be graded by using the "CCDW Instructor and Instructor Trainer Five (5)-Minute Presentation" Form. The form shall be submitted to the department as a part of the class record.
Section 4. A In order to avoid unnecessary repetition of the course work in the CCDW applicant course, a person who desires to be certified as a CCDW firearms instructor or instructor trainer, but does not possess a CCDW license, shall be permitted to complete the appropriate CCDW firearms instructor training course and shall be issued an applicant certificate which can be used to apply for a CCDW license. Upon showing proof to the Department of Criminal Justice Training that the person has obtained a license, the person shall be certified as an instructor or instructor trainer.
Section 5. (1) An instructor candidate who fails to meet the requirements of Section 3 of this administrative regulation may retake the examination, range work or classroom demonstration one (1) time without having to repeat the course.
(2) An instructor candidate shall retake the examination, range work, or classroom demonstration within thirty (30) days of the date of failure to meet the requirements of Section 3 of this administrative regulation.
(3) A certified firearms instructor trainer may use a CCDW "Training Class Roster Form," CCDW #5 to comply with the class roster requirements of KRS 237.110(22)(d).
Section 6. (1) A course participant shall provide a safe, functional handgun and factory-loaded ammunition.
(2) Prior to conducting range firing, the course instructor shall:
(a) Inspect each/applicant's firearm; and
(b) Not allow the firing of a handgun that the instructor has reason to believe is not in sound mechanical condition or otherwise may pose a safety hazard.
Section 7. Incorporation by Reference. (1) The following material is incorporated by reference:
(a) "Applicant Request for Training for License to Carry Concealed Deadly Weapons", Form #126-A (07/12/06 edition), Department of Criminal Justice Training;
(b) "CCDW Instructor and Instructor Trainer Five (5)-Minute Presentation," (6/02 edition), Department of Criminal Justice Training; and
(c) "CCDW Training Class Roster Form (CCDW #5)," (July 15, 2006 edition), Department of Criminal Justice Training;
(2) This material may be inspected, copied, or obtained, subject to applicable copyright law, from the Department of Criminal Justice Training, Funderburk Building, 521 Lancaster Avenue, Richmond, Kentucky 40475-3102, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (23 Ky.R. 1286; Am. 1588; eff. 9-17-96; 29 Ky.R. 1872, 2278; eff. 3-19-03; 33 Ky.R. 533; 1078; eff. 11-3-06.)