RELATES TO: KRS 15.330(1)(a), (g), 15.440
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 15.330(1)(a), (h)
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 15.330(1)(a) authorizes the Kentucky Law Enforcement Council to prescribe standards for the approval and continuation of approval of schools which conduct law enforcement training courses required by KRS 15.440 for police officers in order for them to gain or retain eligibility to participate in the Law Enforcement Foundation Program Fund, including minimum standards for curriculums for courses. This administrative regulation establishes standards and procedures for approval of curriculum for courses.
Section 1. Submission Requirements. In order for the council to adequately determine the merits of a proposed course curriculum or proposed curriculum amendment, a proposed curriculum or proposed amendment to a previously approved curriculum shall:
(1) Be received by the council at least thirty (30) days prior to the date of anticipated review;
(2) Be taught by certified instructors or instructors whose certification has been waived;
(3) Be submitted by a certified school;
(4) Be submitted with a completed KLEC Form 31 to the Kentucky Law Enforcement Council, Funderburk Building, 521 Lancaster Avenue, Richmond, Kentucky 40475-3102;
(5) Include a specific learning objective for every portion of the course;
(6) Include a course description;
(7) Include a description of the method of student learning evaluation;
(8) Include a bibliography;
(9) Include a schedule indicating the number of hours for each block of instruction; and
(10) Indicate and justify a “passing” performance level on all student learning evaluations.
Section 2. School Endorsement. A proposed course curriculum or proposed curriculum amendment submitted by a school shall be endorsed by the director of the school or the director's designee.
Section 3. Approval Procedure. Upon review of the merits of a proposed course curriculum or proposed curriculum amendment in accordance with Section 1 of this administrative regulation, the council shall vote whether to approve, approve subject to stated conditions, or disapprove. Course curriculum approval shall last for only three (3) years. Curriculums which are to be continued shall be resubmitted for approval at least thirty (30) days before the council meeting which occurs last before the expiration of the three (3) year period.
Section 4. Notification of Council Action. Within sixty (60) days of the council's vote, the council shall complete KLEC Form 33 and notify in writing the school which submitted the curriculum whether the curriculum or curriculum amendment was approved.
Section 5. Incorporation by Reference. (1) The following material is incorporated by reference:
(a) KLEC Form 31, "Curriculum Development Form", June 2014; and
(b) KLEC Form 33, "Curriculum Development Approval Form", June 2014.
(2) This material may be inspected, copied, or obtained, subject to applicable copyright law, at the Kentucky Law Enforcement Council, Funderburk Building, 521 Lancaster Avenue, Richmond, Kentucky 40475-3102, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (11 Ky.R. 1540; Am. 1775; eff. 5-14-1985; 16 Ky.R. 1981; eff. 5-13-1990; 41 Ky.R. 593; 1978; eff. 4-3-2015.)