502 KAR 10:070. Training vehicle, annual inspection.
RELATES TO: KRS 332.030
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 15A.160, 332.100
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 15A.160 and 332.100 provide that the Secretary of the Justice Cabinet in cooperation with the Commissioner, Department of State Police, may adopt such administrative regulations necessary to carry out the provisions of KRS Chapter 332. This administrative regulation establishes the department's policy regarding the annual inspection of driver training vehicles utilized by driver training schools.
Section 1. Driver training motor vehicles shall be presented to any authorized representative of the State Police Driver Testing Section for inspection at least once a year for inspection.
Section 2. All motor vehicles used to give driver training instruction shall have a current safety inspection certificate issued by the department which shall be kept in the glove compartment.
Section 3. In order to be approved the motor vehicle shall be:
(1) In a safe operating condition, not more than five (5) years old, except that truck/tractors shall not be more than ten (10) years old for on-the-road instruction and fifteen (15) years old for off-the-road instruction;
(2) Insured as required in KRS 332.030;
(3) Registered with the department in the name of a driver training school;
(4) Equipped with dual controls on the foot brake, and on the clutch, if any, which will enable the instructor to bring the car under control in case of emergency. Dual controls are not required on a truck/tractor. In addition, it is suggested that the driver training school offer instruction in both manual gear shift and automatic transmission vehicles; and
(5) Equipped with seat belts which should be used by both student and instructor.
(6) Emergency ignition-kill toggle switch on instructor's side, except for tractor/trailers.
(7) Equipped with outside mirror on both driver's side and instructor's side.
(8) Owned or leased by the school.
Section 4. The full name of the driver training school shall be prominently displayed on both front and rear of such vehicle in letters at least two (2) inches high and in colors vividly contrasting with the color of the vehicle.
Section 5. It shall be the responsibility of the driver training school and the duty of the driver training instructor to insure that the vehicle is inspected annually.
Section 6. It shall be the responsibility of the school to furnish written notice any time a vehicle is added to or deleted from the school's motor vehicle fleet. (PSfty-DTS-4; 1 Ky.R. 1034; eff. 6-11-75; Am. 12 Ky.R. 1625; eff. 5-6-86.)