501 KAR 7:080. Sanitation; hygiene.
RELATES TO: KRS 441.045, 441.055
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 196.035, 197.020, 441.055
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 441.055(1) requires the Department of Corrections to promulgate administrative regulations establishing minimum standards for jails that house state prisoners. This administrative regulation establishes procedures for proper sanitation and hygiene in restricted custody centers.
Section 1. Procedures. (1) The jailer shall provide for:
(a) The control of vermin and pests; and
(b) Both solid and liquid waste disposal.
(2) The jailer shall have a written preventative maintenance plan which includes schedules for:
(a) Cleaning various specified locations and items in the center;
(b) Inspections by the jailer;
(c) Trash and garbage removal; and
(d) Periodic inspection and maintenance of specified mechanical equipment.
(3) The center shall have fresh, purified air circulating within each prisoner living and activity area.
(4) The center shall furnish clean, sanitized bedding to prisoners, including:
(a) One (1) penal mattress;
(b) One (1) blanket, if conditions require;
(c) Two (2) sheets;
(d) One (1) pillow, if not part of the mattress; and
(e) One (1) pillowcase, if applicable.
(5) Prisoner bedding shall be cleaned on a regular basis according to the following schedule:
(a) Sheets, pillowcases, and mattress cover shall be cleaned at least once per week and cleaned prior to reissue to another inmate;
(b) Blankets shall be laundered upon reissue or quarterly, whichever is sooner; and
(c) Mattresses and pillows shall be cleaned quarterly and cleaned prior to reissue to another inmate.
(6) Each prisoner shall be issued a clean towel. Towels shall be laundered at least twice weekly and laundered prior to reissue to another inmate. Prisoners shall not be required to be without a towel while laundry is being processed.
(7) Provisions shall be made for laundering prisoner clothing at least twice weekly. Prisoners shall not be required to be without clean clothing while laundry is being processed.
(8) Floors, toilets, and sinks shall be cleaned daily or more often as necessary.
(9) Showers shall be cleaned on at least a weekly basis.
(10)(a) Prisoners shall be issued or permitted to obtain the following hygienic items:
4. Toilet paper; and
5. Female sanitary supplies, if applicable.
(b) An indigent prisoner shall be furnished these items by the center.
(11) Hair cutting services or sanitized hair cutting equipment shall be available to all prisoners. (13 Ky.R. 823; eff. 11-11-86; Am. 26 Ky.R. 181; Am. 27 Ky.R. 91; eff. 7-17-2000; 31 Ky.R. 1575; 1807; eff. 5-26-05; 34 Ky.R. 1193; 1972; eff. 3-7-2008; 37 Ky.R. 2981; 38 Ky.R. 588; eff. 10-7-11.)