501 KAR 3:080. Sanitation; hygiene.
RELATES TO: KRS 441.055
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 441.055
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 441.055 requires the Department of Corrections to promulgate administrative regulations establishing minimum standards for jails that house state prisoners. This administrative regulation sets forth procedures to provide proper sanitation and hygiene in full-service jails.
Section 1. Procedures. (1) The jailer shall provide for the control of vermin and pests.
(2) The jail shall provide for both solid and liquid waste disposal.
(3) The jailer shall have a written preventative maintenance plan that includes but is not limited to:
(a) A cleaning schedule for various locations and items in the jail;
(b) A schedule for inspections by the jailer;
(c) A schedule for trash and garbage removal; and
(d) A schedule for periodic inspection and maintenance of specific mechanical equipment.
(4) The jail shall have fresh air circulating within prisoner living and activity areas.
(5) The jail shall furnish clean sanitized bedding to prisoners except in holding areas and unless it is determined to be detrimental to a particular prisoner. Issuance of bedding in detoxification is optional. Bedding shall include:
(a) One (1) mattress;
(b) One (1) blanket if conditions require;
(c) Two (2) sheets;
(d) One (1) pillow, if not part of the mattress; and
(e) One (1) pillowcase, if applicable.
(6) Prisoner bedding shall be cleaned on a regular basis according to the following schedule:
(a) Sheets, pillowcases, and mattress cover shall be cleaned at least once per week and cleaned prior to reissue to next prisoner;
(b) Blankets shall be laundered upon reissue or quarterly, whichever is sooner; and
(c) Mattresses and pillows shall be cleaned quarterly and cleaned prior to reissue to next prisoner.
(7) Each prisoner shall be issued a clean jail uniform and towel upon admission to a prisoner living area. Jail uniforms and towels shall be laundered at least twice weekly and laundered prior to reissue to the next prisoner. Prisoners shall not be required to be without a clean uniform or towel while laundry is being processed.
(8) All floors, toilets, and sinks in the jail shall be cleaned daily or more often as necessary.
(9) All showers shall be cleaned on at least a weekly basis.
(10) (a) All prisoners assigned to prisoner living areas shall be issued or permitted to obtain the following hygienic items:
4. Toilet paper; and
5. Female sanitary supplies (if applicable).
(b) Indigent prisoners shall be furnished these items by the jail.
(11) All prisoners shall be permitted to shave a minimum of two (2) times per week. Communal razors shall not be used.
(12) Hair cutting services or sanitized hair cutting equipment shall be available to all prisoners.
(13) All prisoners shall be provided shower facilities within twenty-four (24) hours of admission. Prisoners shall be permitted to shower daily.
(14) All prisoners in the jail shall be provided with hot and cold running water in showers and lavatories. (9 Ky.R. 644; eff. 3-2-83; Am. 13 Ky.R. 687; eff. 11-11-86; 20 Ky.R. 2135; 2624; eff. 3-14-94; 31 Ky.R. 1556; 1796; eff. 5-26-05; 34 Ky.R. 1183; 1964; eff. 3-7-2008; 2952; 38 Ky.R. 574; eff. 10-7-11.)