RELATES TO: KRS 257.196, 525.130
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 257.196
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 257.196 requires the Board of Agriculture to promulgate administrative regulations establishing on-farm livestock and poultry care standards recommended to it by the Kentucky Livestock Care Standards Commission. This administrative regulation establishes additional livestock standards and specifically authorized practices for equine.
Section 1. The provisions of 302 KAR 21:020 apply to on-farm livestock and poultry in Kentucky, except as provided by this administrative regulation. This administrative regulation adds additional standards and specifically authorized practices to 302 KAR 21:020 for equine.
Section 2. (1) Additional Standards.
(a) Drink. Water containers shall be cleaned regularly and free of any hazard.
(b) Feed. Horses shall be provided a diet sufficient to maintain a healthy weight and body condition. Geriatric or ill horses may have less than an ideal body condition.
(c) Space. 1. Stalls in which horses are housed untethered for more than four (4) hours shall be large enough to allow horses to turn around completely, lie down comfortably, and stand completely erect. Stalls shall have adequate ventilation and drainage and be kept free of excessive waste.
2. If a horse is tethered, it shall be done in a way and under supervision sufficient to minimize the risk of injury.
3. Pastures shall be routinely monitored for the presence of hazards.
4. Space shall be provided for exercise that is sufficient to maintain a horse's health.
(2) Authorized practices. The following shall be authorized practices:
(c) Hoof trimming;
(e) Artificial insemination;
(f) Embryo transfer;
(g) Navel dipping;
(h) Breeding soundness evaluations;
(i) Surgery; and
(j) Restraint by use of a twitch.
(3) Unauthorized practices. Soring shall be prohibited. (40 Ky.R. 734; eff. 3-7-2014.)