302 KAR 20:058. Brucellosis eradication.
RELATES TO: KRS Chapter 257
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 257.110, 257.120, 257.480, 257.030
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: To provide the procedure for enabling the Board of Agriculture to eliminate brucellosis by ordering the slaughtering or destruction of a bovine herd upon a determination of infection of or exposure to brucellosis within the herd. Such methods are necessary in order to achieve status of brucellosis free state.
Section 1. Definition. "Bovine herd" means all cattle (genus Bos), bison including calves maintained on common ground for any purpose, two (2) or more groups of cattle, or bison under common ownership or supervision, geographically separated but which are interchanged or moved without regard to health status.
Section 2. Procedures. (1) Except as provided in paragraphs (a) and (b) of this subsection, if the State Board of Agriculture or its authorized agents determine that any bovine animal or herd is infected with brucellosis on the farm of origin, then the board or its authorized agents shall order that the bovine animals or herd be depopulated within thirty (30) days of notification of the order to the owner:
(a) If an infected herd has had 100 percent of the bovine animals vaccinated as provided in 302 KAR 20:055; and
1. Has an infection rate of less than twenty (20) percent then a quarantine pursuant to 302 KAR 20:057 shall be placed upon the herd;
2. Has an infection rate of twenty (20) percent or greater than the entire herd shall be depopulated.
(b) If only one (1) reactor is identified on the farm of origin, then the herd shall be quarantined for 300 days pursuant to 302 KAR 20:057, and milk or tissue samples for culture and isolation of the brucella organism shall be collected:
1. If the culture and isolation is of field strain brucella abortus, the herd shall be depopulated;
2. If the culture and isolation reveals brucella strain 19 vaccine the herd shall be released from quarantine;
3. If culture fails to isolate brucella abortus, the herd shall remain under quarantine and complete herd tests shall be conducted as determined by the state veterinarian or as determined by the Uniform Methods and Rules for Brucellosis Eradication.
(2) The board or its authorized agents shall order destruction of the animals described in Section 1 of this administrative regulation as provided in KRS 257.110. Notification to the owner of the order of destruction shall be delivered to the owner or mailed to the owner's business address by certified mail.
(3) Indemnity for destroyed animals shall be paid pursuant to KRS 257.120(2) if funds are available. Determination of payment shall be made by the state veterinarian in accordance with 302 KAR 20:056.
(4) If an owner of an infected herd designated for slaughter feels the brucellosis testing is inaccurate, a request for retesting of the animals shall be submitted to the state veterinarian within ten (10) days of the date notification of the first test results were received by the owner pursuant to KRS 257.115.
(5) Notices to owners of cattle shall be sent by certified mail.
Section 3. Extension of Time. An additional thirty (30) days may be requested before destruction of the animals is completed upon written request and for good cause shown. The granting of the extension shall be done by the state veterinarian and under no circumstances shall more than one (1) extension be granted. (14 Ky.R. 2129; eff. 7-1-88; 459; 1075; eff. 11-9-92.)