301 KAR 6:010. Vessel numbering and registration.
RELATES TO: KRS 235.040, 235.050, 235.100, 235.110, 235.120, 235.140, 235.150, 235.210
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 235.280, 235.320
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: To prescribe a uniform numbering system, the uniform placement of numbers and validation decals on vessels, and procedures to be followed by agencies exempt from registration. This administrative regulation contains the substance of 402 KAR 4:020, 4:030, and 4:035. The transfer of the Division of Water Patrol to the Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources necessitates that existing administrative regulations be repealed by the Department of Natural Resources and repromulgated by the Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources. Changes in format and wording were made to reflect the current requirements of KRS Chapter 13A.
Section 1. Vessel Numbering. (1) Except as provided in subsection (2) of this section, the identification numbers assigned to Kentucky registered motorboats shall consist of three (3) letter and number groupings as follows:
(a) The first grouping shall consist of the letters "KY".
(b) The second grouping shall consist of not more than four (4) Arabic numbers.
(c) The third grouping shall consist of not more than two (2) letters.
(d) The letters "I", "O", and "Q" shall not be used.
(2) Boats having valid federal documentation papers shall not be assigned or required to display a Kentucky identification number.
(3) Motorboats not documented by the federal government and owned exclusively by agencies of a state government shall display registration numbers as prescribed by KRS 235.110.
(a) State government agencies shall apply to the Department of Transportation for registration numbers.
(b) Display of validation decals or subsequent renewal of certification shall not be required.
(c) If an agency transfers ownership of a motorboat to another agency of state government, the agency receiving the motorboat shall apply to the Department of Transportation for a new certificate number.
(d) If an agency transfers ownership of a motorboat to other than an agency of state government:
1. The agency shall surrender the registration number; and
2. The current owner shall apply for a registration number pursuant to KRS 235.50.
Section 2. Validation Decals. (1) Persons shall not operate motorboats without a current-year validation sticker attached to the vessel within six (6) inches aft of and in line with the registration number on both sides of the bow.
(2) Expired validation stickers shall be removed. (21 Ky.R. 3092; eff. 7-12-95.)