RELATES TO: KRS 150.010, 150.015, 150.990
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 150.025(1), 150.170
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 150.025(1) authorizes the department to promulgate administrative regulations to establish seasons for the taking of fish and wildlife, to regulate bag limits, creel limits, and methods of take, and to make these requirements apply to a limited area. This administrative regulation establishes the requirements for hunter education.
Section 1. Definitions. (1) "Adult" means a person who is at least eighteen (18) years old.
(2) "Hunter education card" means a card or similar document that verifies a person has successfully completed a:
(a) Kentucky hunter education course; or
(b) Hunter education course from another state, province, or country that meets the standards established by the International Hunter Education Association.
(3) "Hunter education exemption certificate" means a certificate issued by the department that allows a person who is required to obtain a hunter education card to hunt for a period of one (1) year from the date obtained.
Section 2. Hunter Education Card. (1) Unless exempt pursuant to Section 3 of this administrative regulation or license-exempt pursuant to KRS 150.170, a person born on or after January 1, 1975 shall carry a valid hunter education card while hunting in Kentucky.
(2) A person who is less than twelve (12) years old hunting without a hunter education card shall be accompanied by an adult who is in position to take immediate control of the weapon and who:
(a) Has a hunter education card; or
(b) Is exempt from hunter education requirements.
(3) An adult shall not accompany more than two (2) hunters under twelve (12) years old at any one (1) time.
Section 3. Hunter Education Exemptions. (1) A person who is required to have a hunter education card may obtain a hunter education exemption certificate from the department.
(2) A person hunting with a valid hunter education exemption certificate shall:
(a) Carry the certificate while hunting; and
(b) Be accompanied by an adult who is in position to take immediate control of the weapon and who:
1. Is carrying a hunter education card; or
2. Was born before January 1, 1975.
(3) The department shall not issue more than one (1) hunter education exemption certificate to any individual.
Section 4. Hunter Education Course Requirements. (1) In order to obtain a Kentucky hunter education card, a person shall:
(a) Complete a hunter education course by:
1. Attending an entire department-sanctioned hunter education course; or
2. Obtaining and possessing a certificate of completion or its equivalent for course work meeting the standards of the International Hunter Education Association from:
a. An online hunter education course; or
b. A CD-ROM course or its equivalent.
(b) Correctly answer at least eighty (80) percent of the questions on a department-sanctioned exam; and
(c) Safely participate in department-sanctioned live fire exercises.
(2) A person shall be at least nine (9) years old in order to take the department-sanctioned exam. (17 Ky.R. 1259; eff. 11-15-90; Am. 28 Ky.R. 2052; eff. 5-16-2002; 29 Ky.R. 2131; 2487; 2879; eff. 6-16-03; 33 Ky.R. 3243; 3603; eff. 6-13-2007; 39 Ky.R. 1299; eff. 3-8-2013.)