301 KAR 2:144. Fall wild turkey hunting.
RELATES TO: KRS 150.175(1)(r), 150.305, 150.360, 150.390, 150.990(11)
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 150.025(1), 150.390(1), 150.620
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 150.025(1) and 150.390(1) authorize the department to promulgate administrative regulations governing wild turkey hunting. This administrative regulation establishes season dates, shooting hours and other requirements for fall firearm and archery turkey seasons.
Section 1. Seasons and Shooting Hours. (1) Archery season shall be the first Saturday in September through the third Monday in January.
(2) Crossbow season shall be:
(a) From October 1 through the end of the third full weekend in October; and
(b) From the second Saturday in November through December 31.
(3) Firearm season shall be:
(a) The fourth Saturday in October for seven (7) consecutive days; and
(b) The first Saturday in December for seven (7) consecutive days.
(4) A person may take a wild turkey from one-half (1/2) hour before sunrise until one-half (1/2) hour after sunset.
Section 2. Legal Weapons. Firearms, archery and crossbow equipment shall meet the specifications established in 301 KAR 2:140, Section 5.
(1) Fall archery season. Archery equipment may be used.
(2) Fall crossbow season. Crossbows and archery equipment may be used.
(3) Fall firearm season. Archery equipment, crossbows, and firearms may be used.
Section 3. Bag Limits. (1) A person shall not take more than a total of four (4) wild turkeys, with a maximum of:
(a) Two (2) wild turkeys during the fall archery and crossbow seasons; and
(b) Two (2) wild turkeys during the fall firearm season.
(2) Only one (1) of the turkeys taken pursuant to subsection (1) of this section shall have a visible beard at least three (3) inches long.
Section 4. Hunter Orange. Wild turkey hunters shall wear hunter orange during the fall firearm deer season as established in 301 KAR 2:172, Section 4.
Section 5. Use of Dogs. Dogs may be used to aid in taking turkey.
Section 6. Wildlife Management Areas. Unless specified below, Wildlife Management Areas shall be open to fall wild turkey hunting under the statewide requirements specified in Sections 1 through 4 of this administrative regulation and 301 KAR 2:140.
(1) Ballard Wildlife Management Area. A person shall not hunt wild turkeys during the fall firearm or archery season.
(2) Barren River Wildlife Management Area. On the Peninsula Unit, including Narrows, Goose and Grass Islands, a person:
(a) Shall not hunt during the fall firearm season with a breech-loading firearm;
(b) May use a muzzleloader or crossbow during the fall firearm season; and
(c) May use a crossbow during the fall archery season.
(3) Higginson-Henry Wildlife Management Area. A person shall not use or possess a firearm while turkey hunting.
(4) Pioneer Weapons Area. A person may use a crossbow during the fall archery turkey season.
(5) Main block of Robinson Forest. A person shall not hunt wild turkeys during the fall firearm or archery season except persons participating in a department-authorized hunt.
(6) Swan Lake Wildlife Management Area. A person shall not hunt wild turkeys during the fall firearm or archery season. (24 Ky.R. 794; Am. 1061; eff. 11-12-97; 25 Ky.R. 1693; 2136; eff. 3-10-99; 26 Ky.R. 2298; 27 Ky.R. 489; eff. 8-14-2000; 2874; eff. 6-8-01; 29 Ky.R. 2518; eff. 6-16-03; 30 Ky.R. 410; eff. 10-31-03; 30 Ky.R. 2558; eff. 8-26-04; 31 Ky.R. 1707; 1984; 32 Ky.R. 55; eff. 7-13-05; 1469; 1882; eff. 5-5-06.)