RELATES TO: KRS 150.010, 150.170, 150.175, 150.305, 150.360, 150.390, 150.990
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 150.025(1), 150.390(1)
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 150.025(1) authorizes the department to promulgate administrative regulations to establish open seasons for the taking of wildlife, to regulate bag limits and methods of take, and to make such requirements apply to a limited area. KRS 150.390(1) requires that wild turkeys shall not be taken in any manner contrary to any provisions of KRS Chapter 150 or Title 301 KAR. This administrative regulation establishes seasons, bag limits, hunter requirements, and special area restrictions for fall wild turkey hunting.
Section 1. Definitions. (1) "Crossbow" means a bow capable of holding an arrow at full or partial draw without human aid.
(2) "Wildlife Management Area" or "WMA" means a tract of land:
(a) Controlled by the department through ownership, lease, license, or cooperative agreement; and
(b) That has "Wildlife Management Area" or "WMA" as part of its official name.
Section 2. Statewide Wild Turkey Season Dates. Except as established in 301 KAR 2:111, a person shall only take wild turkeys during the seasons established in subsections (1) through (3) of this section:
(1) Archery season shall be the first Saturday in September through the third Monday in January;
(2) Crossbow season shall be:
(a) From October 1 through the end of the third full weekend in October; and
(b) From the second Saturday in November through December 31; and
(3) Firearm season shall be:
(a) For seven (7) consecutive days beginning the fourth Saturday in October; and
(b) For seven (7) consecutive days beginning the first Saturday in December.
Section 3. Legal Equipment. (1) A person shall only use legal weapons and ammunition as established in 301 KAR 2:140.
(2) Fall archery season. Archery equipment may be used.
(3) Fall crossbow season. Crossbows and archery equipment may be used.
(4) Fall firearm season. Archery equipment, crossbows, and firearms may be used.
Section 4. Wild Turkey Bag Limits. (1) A person shall not take more than four (4) wild turkeys, no more than two (2) of which shall be taken with a firearm.
(2) Only one (1) of the turkeys taken pursuant to subsection (1) of this section shall have a visible beard at least three (3) inches long.
(3) A person shall not harvest more than one (1) wild turkey per day.
Section 5. Hunter Restrictions. (1) Dogs may be used to aid in taking wild turkeys during any fall season.
(2) A person may take a wild turkey from one-half (1/2) hour before sunrise until one-half (1/2) hour after sunset.
(3) A person hunting wild turkeys in the fall shall comply with all license, permit, and check-in requirements established in 301 KAR 2:140.
Section 6. Wildlife Management Areas. Except as established in subsections (1) through (6) of this section, Wildlife Management Areas shall be open to fall wild turkey hunting pursuant to this administrative regulation and 301 KAR 2:140.
(1) Ballard Wildlife Management Area. A person shall not hunt wild turkeys during the fall firearm, crossbow, or archery season.
(2) Barren River Wildlife Management Area. On the Peninsula Unit, including Narrows, Goose and Grass Islands, a person:
(a) Shall not hunt during the fall firearm season with a breech-loading firearm;
(b) May use a muzzleloading shotgun or crossbow during the fall firearm season; and
(c) May use a crossbow during the fall archery season.
(3) Higginson-Henry Wildlife Management Area. A person shall not use a firearm while turkey hunting.
(4) Pioneer Weapons Area. A person may use a crossbow during the fall archery turkey season.
(5) Main block of Robinson Forest. A person shall not hunt wild turkeys during the fall firearm, crossbow, or archery season except a person participating in a department-authorized hunt.
(6) Swan Lake Unit of Boatwright Wildlife Management Area. A person shall not hunt wild turkeys during the fall firearm, crossbow, or archery season. (24 Ky.R. 794; Am. 1061; eff. 11-12-97; 25 Ky.R. 1693; 2136; eff. 3-10-99; 26 Ky.R. 2298; 27 Ky.R. 489; eff. 8-14-2000; 2874; eff. 6-8-01; 29 Ky.R. 2518; eff. 6-16-03; 30 Ky.R. 410; eff. 10-31-03; 30 Ky.R. 2558; eff. 8-26-04; 31 Ky.R. 1707; 1984; 32 Ky.R. 55; eff. 7-13-05; 1469; 1882; eff. 5-5-2006; 41 Ky.R. 1142; 1521; eff. 2-6-2015.)