Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources
(As Amended at ARRS, July 14, 2015)
RELATES TO: KRS 150.180
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 150.025(1)(c), 150.280(2)
FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 150.025(1)(c) authorizes the department to
promulgate administrative regulations regarding the buying, selling, or
transporting of fish and wildlife. KRS 150.280(2) authorizes the department to
promulgate administrative regulations prohibiting the holding or transporting
of species potentially damaging to native ecosystems. This administrative
regulation establishes the species of aquatic life that[
are prohibited in the Commonwealth.
1. A person shall not buy, sell, possess, import, or release any aquatic
species not native or established in Kentucky waters, except as established[
in Sections 2, 4, or 5 of this administrative regulation.
2. Exceptions. (1) A person may buy, sell, import, or possess aquarium species,
except those established[
specified] in Section 3 of this
administrative regulation, but shall not release the species into Kentucky
A person may buy, sell, import, or possess sterile, triploid grass carp
(Ctenopharyngodon idella) pursuant to[
, but shall comply with the
requirements of] 301 KAR 1:171.
(3) A fertile, diploid grass carp may only be imported or possessed by a certified propagator for the exclusive purpose of producing triploid grass carp.
following] live aquatic organisms established in subsections
(1) through (7) of this section shall not be imported, bought, sold, or
possessed in aquaria:
(1) Subfamily Serrasalminae - piranha, piraya, pirae, or tiger characins;
(2) Astyanax mexicanus - Mexican banded tetra, Mexican minnow, or Mexican tetra;
(3) Petromyzon marinus - sea lamprey;
(4) Genus Clarias - walking catfish;
Genus Channa - snakeheads of Asia and Africa;[
(6) Dreissena polymorpha - zebra mussel; or
(7) Neogobius melanostomus – round goby.
4. Asian carp. (1) A person shall not buy, sell, import, transport, or release
following] live Asian carp species established in paragraphs (a)
through (d) of this subsection:
(a) Hypophthalmichthys molitrix – silver carp;
(b) Hypophthalmichthys nobilis – bighead carp;
(c) Mylopharyngodon piceus – black carp; or
(d) Ctenopharyngodon idella – grass carp, except as established in Section 2(2) and (3) of this administrative regulation.
A licensed commercial fisherman may[
shall be permitted to]
possess, sell, and transport the species of Asian carp established[ listed]
in Section 4(1) of this administrative regulation if the Asian carp are:
(a) Not being transported in water;
(b) Moribund; and
(c) Being transported to a fish processing facility.
Section 5. Commissioner Approval. The commissioner may permit the importation of a banned aquatic species if the applicant demonstrates that the species shall be used for legitimate scientific or educational purposes.
GREGORY K. JOHNSON, Commissioner
ROBERT H. STEWART, Secretary
APPROVED BY AGENCY: May 8, 2015
FILED WITH LRC: May 12, 2015 at 4 p.m.
CONTACT PERSON: Rose Mack, Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources, Arnold L. Mitchell Building, #1 Sportsman's Lane, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601, phone (502) 564-3400, fax (502) 564-9136, email email@example.com.