201 KAR 45:130. Continuing education.
RELATES TO: KRS 309.337, 309.339
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 309.331
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 309.337 requires the board to promulgate administrative regulations establishing continuing education requirements. This administrative regulation establishes continuing education requirements for licensed diabetes educators.
Section 1. Accrual of Continuing Education Hours. (1)(a) The annual continuing education accrual period shall be from November 1 of each year to October 31 of the next year.
(b) Prior to renewal of a license for the next licensure period, a licensee shall have earned fifteen (15) hours of approved continuing education.
(2) More than fifteen (15) hours of continuing education shall not be carried over into the next continuing education period.
(3) It shall be the responsibility of each licensee to finance the costs of continuing education.
Section 2. Methods of Acquiring Continuing Education Hours. (1) Continuing education hours for license renewal shall be applicable to diabetes and presented at a professional level that enhances the quality and effectiveness of diabetes self-management education.
(2) A licensee shall obtain continuing education courses from any of the following continuing education providers or programs approved by the providers:
(a) American Association of Diabetes Educators (AADE);
(b) American Diabetes Association (ADA);
(c) Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND);
(d) Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE);
(e) Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME-AMA);
(f) American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC);
(g) American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP);
(h) American Academy of Nurse Practitioners (AANP);
(i) American Academy of Optometry (AAO);
(j) American Academy of Physician Assistants (AAPA);
(k) American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists (AACE);
(l) American College of Endocrinology (ACE);
(m) American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM);
(n) American Medical Association (AMA) or its Kentucky affiliate;
(o) American Nurses Association (ANA);
(p) American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA);
(q) American Physical Therapy Association (APTA);
(r) American Psychological Association (APA);
(s) Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR);
(t) Council on Continuing Medical Education (CCME-AOA);
(u) Council on Podiatric Medical Education (CPME-APMA);
(v) International Diabetes Federation (IDF);
(w) National Association of Clinical Nurse Specialists (NACNS);
(x) National Association of Social Workers (NASW);
(y) Kentucky Board of Nursing (KBN);
(z) Kentucky Board of Pharmacy;
(aa) Kentucky Board of Medical Licensure; or
(bb) Kentucky Nurses Association (KNA).
Section 3. Recordkeeping of Continuing Education Hours. (1) A licensee shall maintain a record of all continuing education courses attended for at least two (2) years after attending the course.
(2) Appropriate documentation to be kept shall include:
(a) Proof of attendance;
(b) Date of activity;
(c) Description of activity;
(d) Total hours of instruction, excluding breaks; and
(e) Names and professional qualifications of the presenters.
(3)(a) Each licensee shall sign a statement on the Renewal Application form incorporated by reference in 201 KAR 45:120, indicating compliance with the continuing education requirements.
(b) A license shall not be renewed without the licensee signing this sworn statement.
Section 4. Reconsideration. (1) A licensee may request the board to reconsider its denial of a continuing education course. The request shall be filed with the board in writing.
(2)(a) A licensee shall file the request for reconsideration pursuant to KRS Chapter 13B within thirty (30) calendar days of notification of the denial.
(b) The request will be reviewed by the board at its next regularly scheduled meeting.
Section 5. Auditing of Continuing Education. (1) In January following the renewal period, the board shall annually conduct a random audit of up to fifteen (15) percent of licensees and permit holders from the preceding renewal period.
(2) Each licensee or permit holder selected for audit shall submit documentation of completion of continuing education units from the preceding renewal period to the board within forty-five (45) days of the date of the request.
(3) A licensee or permit holder who fails to comply with the audit request or the continuing education requirements shall be subject to the disciplinary action established in this subsection.
(a) For the first offense, the licensee or permit holder shall be fined fifty (50) dollars.
(b) For the second offense, the licensee or permit holder’s license or permit shall be suspended for thirty (30) days.
1. The licensee or permit holder shall have thirty (30) days to submit proof of completion of the continuing education requirements established in Section 1 of this administrative regulation.
2. If the licensee or permit holder does not comply with subparagraph 1. of this paragraph, the licensee or permit holder’s license or permit shall expire. (40 Ky.R. 189; 587; 790; eff. 11-1-2013; 42 Ky.R. 1918; 2474; eff. 4-1-2016.)