RELATES TO: KRS 309.358, 309.359, 309.362, 309.363
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 309.355(3)
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 309.355(3) requires the board to promulgate administrative regulations to implement KRS 309.350 to 309.364. The board is required to issue a license to an applicant meeting the standards established in KRS 309.358 or 309.359. This administrative regulation establishes the application process and curriculum requirements for licensure.
Section 1. An applicant for licensure as a massage therapist shall:
(1) File a completed, signed, and dated Application for Licensure as a Massage Therapist, and the required documentation with the board, meeting the requirements set forth in KRS 309.358; and
(2) Pay the application fee as established in 201 KAR 42:020.
Section 2. To comply with KRS 309.358(4), an applicant shall submit to the board, at the time of application, an official transcript or certificate that shows the completion of at least 600 classroom hours, itemizing compliance with the clock hour requirements established in KRS 309.363(1).
Section 3. Examinations. (1) An applicant shall successfully pass an examination:
(a) Listed in KRS 309.358(5); or
(b) Approved by the board pursuant to KRS 309.358(5) and listed in subsection (4) of this section.
(2) An examination shall be approved by the board as meeting the standard established in KRS 309.358(5) if the board determines that the examination:
(a) Has been scientifically constructed to be valid and objective;
(b) Reflects the curriculum content established in KRS 309.363(1);
(c) Has security procedures to protect the exam content; and
(d) Has clear application, reporting, and appeal procedures.
(3) Approval of exams shall be noted in the board minutes and on the board Web site.
(4) The following examinations have been approved by the Board pursuant to KRS 309.358(5):
(a) The Massage and Bodywork Licensing Examination (MBLEx) or other exam administered by the Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards;
(b) The State of Ohio Massage Therapy Licensing Exam;
(c) The State of New York Massage Therapy Licensing Exam; or
(d) The National Certification Agency (NBCA) Massage Therapy Certification Exam, level one.
Section 4. Appeals. An applicant may appeal a decision denying his or her licensure application in accordance with KRS 309.362(4).
Section 5. Incorporation by Reference. (1) The "Application for Licensure as a Massage Therapist", April 2013, is incorporated by reference.
(2) This material may be inspected, copied, or obtained, subject to applicable copyright law, at Division of Occupations and Professions, 911 Leawood Drive, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (30 Ky.R. 2417; Am. 31 Ky.R. 31 eff. 8-6-2004; 33 Ky.R. 1883; 2934; eff. 4-6-07; 37 Ky.R. 1013; 1697; 1990; eff. 3-4-2011; 38 Ky.R. 93; eff. 11-4-11; 39 Ky.R. 1936; 2152; eff. 5-31-2013.)