RELATES TO: KRS 310.021, 310.031(1), (2)
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 310.041(1), (2), (6)
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 310.041 requires the Kentucky Board of Licensure for Dietitians and Nutritionists to promulgate administrative regulations and to review and approve or reject the qualifications of all applicants for licensure and certification. This administrative regulation establishes the procedure for submitting an application for licensure or certification and establishes requirements for institutions to be approved by the board.
Section 1. Application. (1) An Application for Licensure or Certification shall be submitted to practice dietetics after the requirements established in KRS 310.021 are met.
(2) An Application for Licensure or Certification shall be submitted to practice nutrition after the requirements established in KRS 310.031 are met.
(3) Each Application for Licensure or Certification shall be accompanied by the nonrefundable application fee, established in 201 KAR 33:010.
(4) Each application shall be signed by the applicant.
(5)(a) Each application to practice dietetics shall include:
1. A copy of the applicant's current registration card issued by the Commission of Dietetic Registration; or
2. A letter indicating successful completion of the registration examination.
(b) An Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics membership card shall not constitute compliance with paragraph (a)1. of this subsection.
(6) Each application to practice nutrition shall include a certified copy of the applicant's official master's transcript.
(7) If the applicant is or was licensed or registered in another jurisdiction, the applicant shall submit a complete Verification of Licensure in Other Jurisdictions form for all jurisdictions where the applicant is currently or has formerly been licensed or registered.
Section 2. Approved Programs. (1) A baccalaureate degree from a college or university approved by the board pursuant to KRS 310.021(3) or 310.031(2)(a) shall be a degree program that is listed as accredited by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics.
(2) If an applicant’s baccalaureate degree is not listed as accredited by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics, then the applicant shall demonstrate at least forty-five (45) semester hours or sixty-eight (68) quarter hours, as evidenced by a certified copy of an academic transcript, of coursework at the baccalaureate or graduate level in addition to the hours required by KRS 310.031(2)(b). The coursework shall include content specific to each of the following areas:
(c) Physical and biological sciences;
(d) Social sciences;
(f) Food composition;
(g) Nutrient metabolism;
(h) Food systems management;
(i) Nutrition therapy;
(j) Lifecycle nutrition; and
(k) Healthcare systems.
(3) The twelve (12) semester hours of graduate credit required by KRS 310.031(2)(b) shall include only didactic hours of graduate credit specifically related to human nutrition. Examples include:
(a) Food sources of nutrients;
(b) Physiological and chemical processes of digestion, absorption, and metabolism;
(c) Nutrient needs throughout the life cycle;
(d) Nutrition assessment processes;
(e) Pathophysiology of disease states;
(f) Medical nutrition therapy;
(g) Nutrient needs in exercise and fitness; and
(h) Nutrition in health and wellness.
(4) The twelve (12) semester hours of graduate credit required by KRS 310.031(2)(b) shall not include practicums, courses that are primarily obtained from work experiences, independent study, thesis, or dissertation credit hours.
Section 3. Incorporation by Reference. (1) The following material is incorporated by reference:
(a) "Application for Licensure or Certification", April, 2014; and
(b) "Verification of Licensure in Other Jurisdictions", February, 2014.
(2) This material may be inspected, copied, or obtained, subject to applicable copyright law, at the Division of Occupations and Professions, 911 Leawood Drive, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (27 Ky.R. 3391; Am. 28 Ky.R. 1360; eff. 12-19-2001; 36 Ky.R. 1308; 1906; eff. 3-5-2010; 39 Ky.R. 1284; 1680; eff. 3-8-2013; 40 Ky.R. 2201; 2402; eff. 6-6-2014.)