RELATES TO: KRS 322A.030(3), (4), 322A.040(1)(c), 322A.045
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 322A.030(5)
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 322A.040(1)(c) requires administrative regulations governing the examination of applicants for registration. KRS 322A.045 requires the board to promulgate an administrative regulation governing the examination for an applicant for certification as a geologist-in-training. This administrative regulation establishes requirements concerning examinations.
Section 1. General Requirements. (1) The board shall furnish to applicants pertinent instructions and establish the examination schedule which shall include: the place, the time, and the final date by which the board shall have received the applicant's materials.
(2) An applicant for examination shall submit a complete application and pay the application and examination fees required by 201 KAR 31:010 to the board when filing the application. Once the application has been approved by the board, the applicant shall be scheduled to take the examination at the next regularly scheduled date.
(3) If an applicant fails to appear for the scheduled examination and presents a valid reason in writing no later than thirty (30) days after the missed examination date for missing the examination, such as illness or death in the immediate family, the examination may be deferred until the next scheduled date upon payment of a twenty-five (25) dollar fee.
(4) If an applicant fails to appear for or to complete the examination without a valid reason, the applicant shall forfeit all examination fees paid.
(5) If an applicant fails to appear for a second scheduled examination, without presenting a valid reason in writing such as illness or death in the immediate family, the application shall be terminated on the date of the examination, and the applicant shall be denied registration on the basis of failure of the examination by default. The applicant shall not engage in the public practice of geology or otherwise violate KRS 322A.090(2).
(6) An applicant who fails to complete the application and examination process within one (1) year of the date of filing of the application shall file a new application and pay the fees required by 201 KAR 31:010 in order to be eligible for registration or certification unless the applicant has obtained a deferral under subsection (3) of this section.
Section 2. Examination for Registration. (1) An applicant for registration shall submit to an examination composed of the Fundamentals of Geology (FG) and the Practice of Geology (PG) developed and owned by the National Association of State Boards of Geology (ASBOGÒ). The applicant shall obtain a scaled score equal to passage of seventy (70) percent on both the Fundamentals of Geology (FG) and the Practice of Geology (PG) examinations.
(2) An applicant shall provide a current, government-issued, photographic identification when taking the examination.
(3) If an applicant for registration fails one (1) or both of the examinations, the applicant may, with payment of the required fee, be rescheduled to take the examination at the next regularly scheduled examination date. An applicant who fails one (1) of the examinations shall be required to retake only the examination on which the applicant failed to achieve a passing scaled score.
(4) If the applicant is practicing under a temporary permit, the applicant may continue to practice under the supervision of a registered geologist until achieving a passing score on the examination or until sixty (60) days after the second examination offered after the applicant has been approved for registration.
Section 3. Examination for Certification as a Geologist-in-Training. An applicant for certification as a Geologist-in-Training shall:
(1) Submit to an examination composed of the Fundamentals of Geology (FG) developed and owned by the National Association of State Boards of Geology (ASBOGÒ);
(2) Obtain a scaled score equal to passage of seventy (70) percent; and
(3) Not take this examination prior to the applicant's final semester or quarter from an accredited college or university.
Section 4. Incorporation by Reference. (1) "Application for Registration as a Professional Geologist", 7-10-2013, is incorporated by reference.
(2) This material may be inspected, copied, or obtained, subject to applicable copyright laws, at the Kentucky Board of Registration for Professional Geologists, 911 Leawood Drive, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601, (502) 564-3296, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (20 Ky.R. 3346; eff. 8-4-94; 32 Ky.R. 938; 1221; eff. 2-3-2006; 39 Ky.R. 2388; 40 Ky.R. 537; eff. 10-4-2013.)