201 KAR 31:040. Examinations.
RELATES TO: KRS 322A.030(3), (4), 322A.040(1)(c), 322A.045
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 322A.030(5)
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 322A.040(1)(c) requires administrative regulations governing the examination of applicants for registration. KRS 322A.045 requires the board to promulgate an administrative regulation governing the examination for an applicant for certification as a geologist-in-training. This administrative regulation outlines requirements concerning examinations.
Section 1. General Requirements. (1) The board shall furnish to applicants pertinent instructions and establish the examination schedule which shall include: the place, the time, and the final date by which the board shall have received the applicant's materials.
(2) An applicant for examination shall submit a complete application and pay the required application and examination fees to the board in a timely manner. Once the application has been approved by the board, the applicant shall be scheduled to take the examination at the next regularly scheduled date.
(3) If an applicant fails to appear for the scheduled examination and presents a valid reason in writing for missing the examination, such as illness or death in the immediate family, the examination may be deferred until the next scheduled date without forfeiture of the examination fee.
(4) If an applicant fails to appear for or to complete the examination without a valid reason, the applicant shall forfeit all examination fees paid.
(5) If an applicant fails to appear for a second scheduled examination, without presenting a valid reason in writing such as illness or death in the immediate family, the application shall be terminated on the date of the examination, and the applicant shall be denied registration on the basis of failure of the examination by default. The applicant may not engage in the public practice of geology or use the title "registered geologist".
Section 2. Examination for Registration. (1) An applicant for licensure shall submit to an examination composed of the fundamentals in geology (FG) and the Practice of Geology (PG) developed and owned by the Association of State Boards of Geology (ASBOG). The applicant shall obtain a score equal to passage of seventy (70) percent of the test items on each portion of the examination.
(2) An applicant for registration who has been approved to sit for the examination and whose supervisory arrangement has been approved by the board shall be considered to be functioning under a temporary permit until all requirements for registration have been completed.
(3) If an applicant for registration fails one (1) or both portions of the examination, the applicant may, with payment of the required fee, be rescheduled to take the examination at its next regularly scheduled date. An applicant who fails one (1) portion of the examination shall be required to retake only the portion on which the applicant failed to achieve a passing score.
(4) If the applicant is practicing under a temporary permit, the applicant may continue to practice under the supervision of a registered geologist until achieving a passing score on the examination or until sixty (60) days after the second examination offered after the applicant has been approved for registration.
Section 3. Examination for Certification. (1) An applicant for certification:
(a) Shall submit to examination composed of the fundamentals in geology developed and owned by the Association of State Boards of Geology;
(b) Shall obtain a score equal to passage of seventy (70) percent of the test items on the examination;
(c) May take this examination during the applicant's final year of approved undergraduate program having completed ninety (90) semester hours or 135 quarter hours of college course work.
Section 4. Incorporated by Reference. (1) Form "Application for Registration as a Geologist" (September 1, 2005, edition), is incorporated by reference.
(2) This material may be inspected, copied, or obtained, subject to applicable copyright laws, at the Kentucky Board of Registration for Professional Geologists, 911 Leawood Drive, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601, (502) 564-3296, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (20 Ky.R. 3346; eff. 8-4-94; 32 Ky.R. 938; 1221; eff. 2-3-2006.)